What are the limits of the electromagnetic spectrum?

In summary, Radio waves are a range of frequencies between microwaves and DC, while gamma rays are the highest frequency radiation in the electromagnetic spectrum. There is no theoretical limit to the frequency of radiation, as long as it has enough energy to generate photons. gamma rays are generated by smashing atoms, while X-rays are generated by the bombardment of protons with neutrons. There is an upper limit to the frequency of radiation, which is determined by the energy of the photons after the Big Bang.
µ³
Is there a frequency below radio waves or above gamma rays? What makes radio waves and gamma rays the bounds of the electromagnetic spectrum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question.
I am sure someone has the answer.
One thing I read, not sure if it is true, is that frequencies going lower will eventualy "flatline" to zero frequency. Not sure what happens on increasing frequencies.

there is no limit to frequencys. They can be as high as gamma rays and higher and as low as radio or lower. All it is is differences in wavelength or elecromagnetic spectrum. This is what I think, I might ne wrong but it makes sense to me to think if it this way.

Very Low Frequency radio waves are used (or at least they used to be) to communicate with submarines. The frequency of these waves was less than 1 kHz (not sure what the lower bound was). One could also consider that the absence of any e/m radiation (or a constant e field) can be thought of as an e/m wave with a frequency of 0 Hz! Can't get lower than that.

You cannot go arbitrarily high in frequency since frequency in e/m waves is a measure of the photon's energy, you can only generate a photon with a given frequency if there is enough energy to do so.

Claude.

My question is: what are the lower and upper theoretical limits in which EM waves can exist. I think that at certain high velocities when you collide a positron with an electron you don't get a photon (gamma ray) but get Z0 Boson. Is there any other mechanisms for generating photons that would generate them at higher frequencies/energies than a positron-electron collision?

im pretty sure that supernovas generate very high frequency e/m radiation.

Radio waves contain everything between microwaves and DC (constant field), which is infinite wave length (or 0 frequency). That's all called radio. To make an extremely low frequency wave, charge up a balloon with static and move it as slow as you want.

As for the upper limit, any photon with a greater frequency than x-ray is gamma. When it energy is sufficient (frequency high enough), a photon can spontaneously become a pair of electron and positron (mass, E=mc2, f = mc2/h). Put in two times the mass of an electron in this equation and this a nice upper limit for my needs. I think photons with greater energies can be obtained by smashing atoms. I suspect the upper limits are defined by the probability of a photon of becoming other massive particles. A fundamental limit must be whatever energy the first photons after the Big Bang had.

1. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. It spans from the longest wavelengths to the shortest wavelengths and is divided into several categories based on the wavelength range.

2. How is the electromagnetic spectrum used in everyday life?

The electromagnetic spectrum is used in a variety of ways in our daily lives. Radio waves are used for communication, such as in cell phones and radios. Microwaves are used in cooking and in radar technology. Infrared radiation is used in remote controls and thermal imaging. Visible light allows us to see the world around us. Ultraviolet radiation is used in medicine and sterilization. X-rays are used in medical imaging. Gamma rays are used in cancer treatment and in nuclear power plants.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in the electromagnetic spectrum?

The wavelength and frequency of electromagnetic radiation are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation c = λν, where c is the speed of light, λ is the wavelength, and ν is the frequency. This means that longer wavelengths have lower frequencies and shorter wavelengths have higher frequencies.

4. How does the electromagnetic spectrum affect the Earth's climate?

The Earth's atmosphere interacts with the electromagnetic radiation coming from the Sun, causing different wavelengths to be absorbed or reflected. This affects the Earth's temperature and climate. For example, visible light is mostly absorbed by the Earth's surface and converted into heat, while infrared radiation is trapped by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, contributing to the warming of the planet. Changes in the composition of the atmosphere can alter this balance and have significant impacts on the Earth's climate.

5. How is the electromagnetic spectrum used in scientific research?

The electromagnetic spectrum is an essential tool for scientists to study the universe. Different wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation can reveal different information about objects and phenomena in space. For example, radio waves are used to study cosmic microwave background radiation, which provides evidence for the Big Bang theory. X-rays and gamma rays are used to study high-energy objects such as black holes and supernovas. Infrared and ultraviolet radiation are also used to study the composition and temperature of stars and galaxies.