Electromagnetic wave, electromagnetic field and quantas

In summary, according to Einstein, space time is exclusively the gravitational field. This field is having properties of inertia and elasticity that is why gravitational waves are possible and have been detected in LIGO antennae. Now my question is to know how electromagnetic fields and their waves are acting in this container (all pervading) fabric of spacetime (Gravitational field). Also electromagnetic wave is possible due to elasticity and inertia properties of the vacuum (again spacetime and hence Gravitational field). So both gravitational wave and electromagnetic wave and their quantas and their generating fields are there in all pervading spacetime (finite and unbounded as I understand).
gianeshwar
As I understand space time fabric is exclusively the Gravitational field according to Einstein.So every field wave or interaction is contained in the Gravitational Field.This fabric of spacetime(gravitational field) is having properties of inertia and elasticity that is why gravitational waves are possible and have been detected in LIGO antennae.
Now my problem is to know how electromagnetic fields and their waves are acting in this container( all pervading ) fabric of spacetime(Gravitational field).
Also electromagnetic wave is possible due to elasticity and inertia properties of the vacuum(again spacetime and hence Gravitational field).So both gravitational wave and electromagnetic wave and their quantas and their generating fields are there in all pervading spacetime(finite and unbounded as I understand).Yes I understand that gravitational field itself is the container.
I want to understand the exact picture of locations and distributions of all fields ,waves and quantas(appearing on interactions of probably fields)
Please correct me if my query is irrelevant. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
gianeshwar said:
Also electromagnetic wave is possible due to elasticity and inertia properties of the vacuum(again spacetime and hence Gravitational field).
You seem to want a mechanical explanation for electromagnetism in terms of inertia and elasticity. There is not one.

There is no mechanical fabric of space time with inertia and elasticity in the first place. That's just a crude metaphor. Electromagnetism is not explained in terms of such a fabric anyway. More generally in physics there is no mechanical explanation for anything. Mathematical models are as good as it gets. Quantum electrodynamics is the most fundamental model we have for electromagnetism. It operates on an assumed background of Minkowski geometry.

Thanks!

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a form of energy that is created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. These waves are characterized by their frequency and wavelength, and they can travel through a vacuum or through a medium. Examples of electromagnetic waves include radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

2. What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field that is created by the presence of electrically charged particles. This field is composed of electric and magnetic fields, which are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave's propagation. The strength and direction of the electromagnetic field can be affected by the presence of other fields, such as those from other sources or objects.

3. What is the relationship between electromagnetic waves and the electromagnetic field?

Electromagnetic waves are created by the oscillation of the electric and magnetic fields within the electromagnetic field. The electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave's propagation. As the wave travels through space, it carries energy from one location to another.

4. What are quanta in relation to electromagnetic waves?

Quanta, also known as photons, are the smallest possible units of electromagnetic energy. Electromagnetic waves are made up of these individual quanta, each with a specific frequency and wavelength. This concept is known as wave-particle duality and is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

5. How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

Electromagnetic waves can interact with matter in various ways, depending on the properties of the material and the characteristics of the wave. Some materials, such as glass, are transparent to certain types of electromagnetic waves, while others, like metals, can reflect or absorb them. The interaction between electromagnetic waves and matter is the basis for many technologies, such as communication systems and medical imaging.