Electromagnetics: Moving loop in a static magnetic field

In summary, the problem involves a conducting square loop moving with velocity vo ay m/s through a magnetic flux density of B=Bo ax Wb/m2 in the range of 0 < y < 2L. The current in the loop can be determined using Ohm's law and the formula Vemf=u × B × dl, which needs to be expressed as a differential and corrected for vector math. The current's magnitude can then be plotted as a function of the loop's position in the y-axis, assuming the loop's front is at y=0 and t=0 and its resistance is R Ω.
JasonHathaway

Homework Statement

A conducting square loop (L × L) moving with velocity vo ay m/s where the magnetic flux density is B=Bo ax Wb/m2 in 0 < y < 2L, and is equal to zero when 0 > y and y > L. Determine the current in the loop and plot its magnitude as a function in the loop's position in the y-axis. Assume the loop's front at y=0 and t=0 (time), and its resistance is R Ω.
5MKxNMk.png

Homework Equations

I=V/R (Ohm's law)
Vemf=u × B × dl (× refers to cross product, u is the velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Vemf=- vo B l V
I=Vemf/R = ( - vo B l )/ R A

wtAqScx.png
I don't know whether I am doing OK or not. I feel like I've missed up with dl. Can anyone clarify?

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonHathaway said:

Homework Equations

I=V/R (Ohm's law)
Vemf=u × B × dl (× refers to cross product, u is the velocity)
This formula is wrong, in fact, it's not a formula at all since you can't write "a x b x c". Plus, you're equating a differential quantity with a finite quantity. You need to be more careful with your vector math. But express V as a differential and fix your "u × B × dl" term, and you're there.
As for your "Vemf=- vo B l V", that is OK in magnitude but you need to get the vector formula right to determine the direction of the current. Or use Lenz's law.
And BTW V is not a vector.

1. What is the principle behind electromagnetic induction?

The principle behind electromagnetic induction is that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. This is described by Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through a closed loop.

2. How does a moving loop in a static magnetic field generate an electric current?

When a loop of wire is moved through a static magnetic field, the magnetic flux through the loop changes, which according to Faraday's Law of Induction, induces an electric current in the loop. This is because the moving loop cuts through the magnetic field lines, creating a changing magnetic flux and thus an induced EMF.

3. What is Lenz's Law and how does it relate to electromagnetic induction?

Lenz's Law states that the direction of the induced current in a circuit will be such that it opposes the change that caused it. In the case of a moving loop in a static magnetic field, Lenz's Law explains why the induced current flows in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the original magnetic field.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced current in a moving loop in a static magnetic field?

The magnitude of the induced current in a moving loop in a static magnetic field depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed and direction of the loop's motion, and the size and shape of the loop. Additionally, the material of the loop can also affect the induced current due to its electrical conductivity and resistance.

5. How is electromagnetic induction used in practical applications?

Electromagnetic induction has a wide range of practical applications, such as in generators, transformers, and motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology, induction cooktops, and metal detectors. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the functioning of many electronic devices, including speakers, microphones, and hard drives.