1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetics: Moving loop in a static magnetic field

1. Oct 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conducting square loop (L × L) moving with velocity vo ay m/s where the magnetic flux density is B=Bo ax Wb/m2 in 0 < y < 2L, and is equal to zero when 0 > y and y > L. Determine the current in the loop and plot its magnitude as a function in the loop's position in the y-axis. Assume the loop's front at y=0 and t=0 (time), and its resistance is R Ω.
    5MKxNMk.png

2. Relevant equations
    I=V/R (Ohm's law)
    Vemf=u × B × dl (× refers to cross product, u is the velocity)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Vemf=- vo B l V
    I=Vemf/R = ( - vo B l )/ R A

wtAqScx.png

I don't know whether I am doing OK or not. I feel like I've missed up with dl. Can anyone clarify?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2015 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This formula is wrong, in fact, it's not a formula at all since you can't write "a x b x c". Plus, you're equating a differential quantity with a finite quantity. You need to be more careful with your vector math. But express V as a differential and fix your "u × B × dl" term, and you're there.
    As for your "Vemf=- vo B l V", that is OK in magnitude but you need to get the vector formula right to determine the direction of the current. Or use Lenz's law.
    And BTW V is not a vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted