Electromagnetism, finding potential difference

In summary: Now what would you use for l for figures (c) and (d)?c) I would use 1.0d) I would use 2.0In summary, the largest potential difference would be induced in Conductor D (v=3.0 m/s) because it has the greatest velocity perpendicular to the magnetic field. This is determined by the equation ε=Blv, where B is the magnetic field and l is the dimension of the conductor perpendicular to v. In figures (a) and (b), l is equal to 1.0 and 2.0, respectively, while in figures (c) and (d), l is equal to 1.0 and 2.0
physics604
1. Four conductors of equal length are each moved through a uniform magnetic field moving away from us (into the page) in different directions and with different speeds, as shown in my attached diagram. While the four conductors are being moved through the field, in which conductor will the largest potential difference be induced?

A. Conductor A
B. Conductor B
C. Conductor C
D. Conductor D

In summary:

Conductor A is moving up, v=1.0 m/s
Conductor B is moving right, v=2.0 m/s
Conductor C is moving left, v=4.0 m/s
Conductor D is moving down, v=3.0 m/s

Homework Equations

ε=Blv

The Attempt at a Solution

Using ε=Blv, I know that the magnetic field (B) and the length of the conductors (l) all have to be constant. So I know that the only variable changing is the velocity (v).

Since Conductor C is moving the fastest (v=4.0 m/s) and has the largest value, it would result in the greatest ε.

However, the answer is Conductor D (v=3.0 m/s). I don't understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Is it possible to attach the diagram so we can see how the conductors are oriented?

Sorry, I forgot about that.

Attachments

• diagram.PNG
    diagram.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 458
In ε = Blv, l is the dimension of the conductor perpendicular to v.

So if the l is parallel to v, there would be no ε induced?

I thought that for this equation, it was only v that had to be perpendicular to B (magnetic field).

physics604 said:
So if the l is parallel to v, there would be no ε induced?

That would be true if the conductor had no thickness perpendicular to v.

I thought that for this equation, it was only v that had to be perpendicular to B (magnetic field).

You need to know the correct interpretation of l in Blv. For example, look at the attachment and decide what you would use for l for figures (a) and (b).

Attachments

• BLV.png
    BLV.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 427
a) I would use 1.0

b) I would use 2.0

This is because the positive/negative charges are on the top/bottom of the rectangles so the lengths are taken from the side.

physics604 said:
a) I would use 1.0

b) I would use 2.0

This is because the positive/negative charges are on the top/bottom of the rectangles so the lengths are taken from the side.

Yes. Good.

1. How is electromagnetism related to potential difference?

Electromagnetism is the study of the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. Potential difference, or voltage, is a measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. In other words, potential difference is a result of the presence of an electric field, which is a key component of electromagnetism.

2. What is the formula for calculating potential difference?

The formula for calculating potential difference is V = W/Q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done to move a charge Q from one point to another, and Q is the charge.

3. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the electric potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. It is typically connected in parallel to the component or circuit being measured.

4. What are some real-life applications of potential difference?

Potential difference has numerous real-life applications, including powering electronic devices, such as phones and computers, and providing electricity for lighting and heating. It is also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, and in transportation systems, such as electric cars and trains.

5. How does potential difference affect the flow of electric current?

Potential difference is the driving force behind the flow of electric current. The greater the potential difference, the more energy is available to push the charges through a circuit. In other words, a higher potential difference will result in a higher rate of electric current flow.