Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism question, what formula

1. Dec 15, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

I'd like to know what formula to use in order to find the following :
    Imagine a uniform magnetic field. I am moving with a constant velocity perpendicularly through it. Do I see only an electric field? A magnetic field? Both? Or both of them?
    What if I move in the sense of the magnetic field with a constant velocity?

What if my velocity changes with time?
    What if, instead of the magnetic field, it's an electric field?

I do not expect the answer to all these questions, rather I'd like a formula to check it out myself. But if you have to say a word or even give the answer, I'm all ears.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

What velocity are you traveling with? If it's much lower than the speed of light:

9cab6787646062d6e658cd1e83ad468f.png

4. Dec 15, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thanks a lot. I'm a bit confused, if B is uniform, if I move, [tex]\frac{\partial B}{\partial t}=0[/tex] or I'm wrong?

5. Dec 15, 2009 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

6. Dec 15, 2009 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

7. Dec 15, 2009 #6
    To look at EM in another velocity you need to use a lorentz transformation of the field. If you are familiar with vectors, J.D. Jackson p. 558 gives a useful form:

[tex]\vec{E}' = \gamma (\vec{E} + \vec{\beta} \times \vec{B}) - \frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma + 1} \vec{\beta} (\vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{E})[/tex]

[tex]\vec{B}' = \gamma (\vec{B} - \vec{\beta} \times \vec{E}) - \frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma + 1} \vec{\beta} (\vec{\beta} \cdot \vec{B})[/tex]

[tex]\vec{\beta} = \vec{v}/c[/tex]
    [tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - \beta^2}}[/tex]

So, you see if you have one frame where E = 0, and only B != 0. Then in every other frame E' != 0, and B' != 0, since B appears in both terms.

8. Dec 15, 2009 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thank you very much. I'm going to try to grasp this. I took vector calculus. I'm taking the 1 year EM course on next term (in March). I thought I would need it for the intro to EM course, but I'm not sure now. Anyway, I'll do an effort to learn this part.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook