Electromagnetism, vector calculus.

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific problem found in a textbook regarding the calculation of electric field and charge density. The key phrase to consider is that n is a constant and there is confusion about whether it should be differentiated or not. The conversation also clarifies that the electrostatic potential represents potential energy and the units of n should be m^-3. The solution for charge density is obtained, but it does not contain any x, y, or z terms, leading to a discussion about the charge density being constant in a certain region. It is suggested to visualize the problem using an infinitely long cylinder along the z-axis with a constant charge density of -4nq.
Spoony
Hey i was wondering about a paticular problem i found in a textbook. Specifically just one little niggle i have with it.

i am given that the electrostatic potential energy in a region of space is given by
v(r) = ((q*n)/(epsilon-0))(x^2+y^2)
(where n is a constant of dimensions m^-3)

It then goes on to say calculate the electric field, so E= -grad(V)

since v is a scalar field then grad(v) is simply
-gradv = E = -( d/dx (v)i + d/dy (v)j + d/dy (v)k )
and in this case the d/dx is a partial derivitive.

So i have to partial differeniate V with respect to all co-ords and then stick a vector on each direction respective of what its been differentiated by.
But i have a problem, the n is a constant so it's constant througout the region of space, but does it get differentiated?
common sense says no as to keep the dimensions required for an electric field E it'd need to have 1/distance^2 as the actual final units of distance (after cancelling the quotants)
and not differenctiating the n would make this so.

BUT I am unsure as i rarely trust common sense with physics anymore :P especially since starting quantum physics this year :(.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The key phrase to consider is n is a constant...do you ever differentiate a constant?!

Also, you want to make sure you differentiate the electric potential (aka voltage), not the potential energy...the two quantities are related, but distinct.

If v(r) really represents the potential energy, then the units of n must be meters, not meters cubed.

In addition, even if n was a function ox x and y, when you use the product rule to differentiate V, you should still get the correct units-- when you consider the term involving the derivative of n, the rest of the stuff multiplying n is not differentiated in the same term, so the units still work out fine.

v(r) represents the electrostatic potential (sorry shoudlve been more precise and actually accurate), also the units of n are actually m^-3, typo above which is corrected.
I was almost sure that i would not have to differentiate the n at all as it was constant and remains the same throughout the electrostatic potential, scalar field, therefore logically itd stay the same throughout the electric, vector field.
But i just doubted myself because i wanted to be 100% sure about this trival thing.

No worries, it's always a good idea to ask when you're not 100% sure about something. :smile:

Thanks for the help mate :)
one more thing though, it then asks to calculate the electric charge density which is simply div(E) = p / (epsilon-0)

where p is the charge density.

All well and good its simply:

d/dx (Ex) + d/dy(Ey) + d/dz(Ez) = p / (epsilon-0)

But it asks for the electric charge density in terms of (x,y,z) when i do the above computation i arrive with a solution that contains no x,y,z terms so this would mean that the electric charge density at any point in space is the same. Which would make not much sense.

i tried to visulise it as a wire going up the z axis that is infinatley long with an electric field induced towards the centre.

This is what i get from calculating the charge density p

p= -4nq

But no x,y,z terms.

Am i doing things right and the awnser is that the charge density at ANY given point is -4nq or have i missed something?

Your answer looks fine to me ...remember, v(r) is only ((q*n)/(epsilon-0))(x^2+y^2) in a certain region, so the charge density is only constant in that region.

An infinitely long cylinder along the z-axis of constant charge density -4nq should give you the same v(r) anywhere inside the cylinder, so I would say that is a good way to visualize the problem.

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields, and their interactions with charged particles.

2. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields and their derivatives, including gradient, divergence, and curl.

3. How are electromagnetism and vector calculus related?

Electromagnetism and vector calculus are closely related because vector calculus is used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism. The equations of electromagnetism, such as Maxwell's equations, are expressed using vector calculus.

4. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetism and vector calculus?

Electromagnetism and vector calculus have numerous real-world applications, including in the fields of electrical engineering, electronics, telecommunications, and astronomy. They are also used in medical imaging technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. How can I improve my understanding of electromagnetism and vector calculus?

To improve your understanding of electromagnetism and vector calculus, it is important to have a strong background in mathematics, particularly in vector algebra and calculus. You can also read textbooks, take online courses, and practice solving problems to deepen your knowledge and skills in these subjects.