1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Electromagnetic action in differential forms

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    The electromagnetic action can be written in the language of differential forms as

##\displaystyle{S=-\frac{1}{4}\int F\wedge \star F.}##

The electromagnetic action can also be written in the language of vector calculus as

$$S = \int \frac{1}{2}(E^{2}+B^{2})$$

How can you show the equivalence between the two formulations of the electromagnetic action?

Here is my attempt:

##\displaystyle{S=-\frac{1}{4}\int F\wedge \star F}##

##\displaystyle{=-\frac{1}{4}\int \left(\sum_i E_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i - \star\sum_i B_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i\right)\wedge \star \left(\sum_j E_j\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^j - \star\sum_j B_j\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^j\right)}##

##\displaystyle{=-\frac{1}{4}\int \left(\sum_i E_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i - \star\sum_i B_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i\right)\wedge \left(\star \sum_j E_j\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^j - \sum_j B_j\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^j\right),}##

since ##\displaystyle{**=(-1)^{p(n+p)+1}}## in Lorentzian space, where ##\star## is applied on a ##p##-form and ##n## is the number of spacetime dimensions, so that, in four dimensions for the ##2##-form ##\displaystyle{dt\wedge dx^{j}}##, ##\displaystyle{**=(-1)^{p(n+p)+1}=-1}##.

What do you do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

First of all your ##S## in (1+3)-form is wrong. The integrand should be ##\propto (\vec{E}^2-\vec{B}^2)##. Then first write down more carefully ##F## and then ##*F## and then multiply out the forms.

4. Oct 31, 2016 #3
    So, you mean that

##\displaystyle{F=\left(\sum_i E_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i - \star\sum_i B_i\,{\rm d}t\wedge{\rm d}x^i\right)}##

is wrong?

5. Nov 2, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It's much easier in components (as usual). The Lagrangian is
    $$\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4} F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu}.$$
    Now
    $$F_{0j}=E_j, \quad F_{jk}=-\epsilon_{ijk} B_i,$$
    and you can easily decompose the Lagrangian in temporal and spatial components to write it in terms of the ##(1+3)##-formalism. You must get something ##\propto (\vec{E}^2-\vec{B}^2)##. The other invariant of the Faraday tensor is ##{^\dagger}F^{\mu \nu} F_{\mu \nu} \propto \vec{E} \cdot \vec{B}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted