Electromagntic fields in a high voltage line

In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help with simulating electromagnetic fields in high voltage transmission lines. They are looking for a code or program that can simulate this and preferably in languages like MAPPLE, C++, FORTRAN, or MATLAB. Another user suggests using simple simulation software like SPICE or Excel, but the original user clarifies that they are working on an investigation and need a more advanced code. They mention looking into MATLAB or mathematicas with c++, but are also open to any other economic options. Another user suggests using EMTP, but the original user is looking for written codes in specific programming languages. They are also open to any helpful resources, such as an eBook on electromagnetic modeling.
Radinax
Hello, i actually more natural with spanish, so sorry if any words are bad writed. I come for help, I am trying to simulate electromagnetic fields in high voltage transsmision lines, i need a code that simulate it. If any of you have a code, or know of a program that do the job i will apreciate if you can post a link or tell me of a program that do the simulation. But it will be better if the code is in MAPPLE, C++, FORTRAN, MATLAB or any other programing language you know of.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Radinax said:
Hello, i actually more natural with spanish, so sorry if any words are bad writed. I come for help, I am trying to simulate electromagnetic fields in high voltage transsmision lines, i need a code that simulate it. If any of you have a code, or know of a program that do the job i will apreciate if you can post a link or tell me of a program that do the simulation. But it will be better if the code is in MAPPLE, C++, FORTRAN, MATLAB or any other programing language you know of.

Welcome to the PF. Don't worry about the language issues -- your writings are fine.

If you are simulating standard transmission lines with the standard TL equations, then any simple simulation software package will work, including SPICE and Excel. Do you have some non-standard TL situation that you need to simulate?

If you want to calculate the properties of the t-line, like propagation velocity or ratio of voltage to cuurent in an impedance-matched line, you only need to know the mutual capacitance per unit length C or inductance per unit length L. This is because the characteristic impedance is Z=sqrt(L/C), and v =~c = 1/sqrt(LC) = 1/sqrt(u0e0) where u0 and e0 are the permeability and permittivity of free space. You could use a ladder of series L's and shunt C's, and use the telegraphers equations if you want a lumped circuit model.

One complication is that the HV transmission lines are (nearly always) 3 phase.

As for the potential distribution between two lines, you could take the potential for the two lines of equal and opposite potential in cylindrical coordinates and add them vectorially.
Bob S

Thanks, well I am doing an investigation, actually working with a professor at my University to publish an article, we are working on the "Meausure of the electrostatic potential, electric field and magnetic field in high voltage line" We want to compare the real values (we are going to have to meausure to get teoric values) with experimental ones using a simulator, and he asked me to look for a code that can simulate the magnetic field in high voltage line, preferible in MATLAB, C++, FORTRAN, MAPPLE. Well that is it, hope you can help a bit more please, this going to have a huge influence in my career.

How about Ansoft or Comsol?

Weeeell they are actually in dollars that i don't have XD!
Thats why I am asking for a code (or plot) in matlab, c++ to simulate that. In a lot of articles i have investigated and most of them uses MATLAB or mathematicas with c++, so if any of you know of a way that's a bit economic??

Do you want to write code? Or use some written codes?
Do you know EMTP or similar software? EMTP is code base software.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

m.s.j said:
Do you want to write code? Or use some written codes?
Do you know EMTP or similar software? EMTP is code base software.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

Thanks for replying!
I want to use some written codes (or plots) in the programing language i mentionted above, related to the simulation of magnetic and electric fields in high voltage transsmision lines, so if you know any information related to this you can post it.

Thanks again!

I don't have any written code;but I access to one useful eBook (ELECTROMAGNETIC MODELING BY FINITE ELEMENT METHODS) which may be helped you for writing of your required codes. I can send it to you, if you want please inform your email address.

m.s.j said:
I don't have any written code;but I access to one useful eBook (ELECTROMAGNETIC MODELING BY FINITE ELEMENT METHODS) which may be helped you for writing of your required codes. I can send it to you, if you want please inform your email address.

Thanks man!
My email address is adrberia@hotmail.com

What is an electromagnetic field?

An electromagnetic field is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It consists of both electric and magnetic components, and can exist in a variety of forms, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

How are electromagnetic fields created in high voltage lines?

Electromagnetic fields are created in high voltage lines due to the flow of electricity through the conductors. As the current flows, it creates an electric field around the conductors and a magnetic field around the entire line.

What are the potential health risks associated with exposure to electromagnetic fields from high voltage lines?

There is ongoing research about potential health risks associated with exposure to electromagnetic fields from high voltage lines. Some studies have suggested a possible link between long-term exposure and an increased risk of certain types of cancer, while others have found no significant health effects. However, it is generally accepted that exposure to very high levels of electromagnetic fields can cause harm, such as burns and other acute effects.

Can electromagnetic fields from high voltage lines be shielded or reduced?

Yes, it is possible to shield or reduce the strength of electromagnetic fields from high voltage lines. This can be achieved through various methods such as burying the power lines underground, using special materials to shield the lines, or implementing distance regulations between the power lines and living or working spaces.

Are there any regulations in place to protect people from exposure to electromagnetic fields from high voltage lines?

Yes, there are regulations in place to protect people from exposure to electromagnetic fields from high voltage lines. In most countries, there are guidelines and limits set by government agencies that specify the maximum levels of exposure to electromagnetic fields that are considered safe for the general public. These limits are based on scientific studies and are regularly reviewed and updated.