Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagntic fields in a high voltage line

1. Nov 27, 2009 #1
    Hello, i actually more natural with spanish, so sorry if any words are bad writed. I come for help, im trying to simulate electromagnetic fields in high voltage transsmision lines, i need a code that simulate it. If any of you have a code, or know of a program that do the job i will apreciate if you can post a link or tell me of a program that do the simulation. But it will be better if the code is in MAPPLE, C++, FORTRAN, MATLAB or any other programing language you know of.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. Don't worry about the language issues -- your writings are fine.

If you are simulating standard transmission lines with the standard TL equations, then any simple simulation software package will work, including SPICE and Excel. Do you have some non-standard TL situation that you need to simulate?

4. Nov 28, 2009 #3
    If you want to calculate the properties of the t-line, like propagation velocity or ratio of voltage to cuurent in an impedance-matched line, you only need to know the mutual capacitance per unit length C or inductance per unit length L. This is because the characteristic impedance is Z=sqrt(L/C), and v =~c = 1/sqrt(LC) = 1/sqrt(u0e0) where u0 and e0 are the permeability and permittivity of free space. You could use a ladder of series L's and shunt C's, and use the telegraphers equations if you want a lumped circuit model.

One complication is that the HV transmission lines are (nearly always) 3 phase.

As for the potential distribution between two lines, you could take the potential for the two lines of equal and opposite potential in cylindrical coordinates and add them vectorially.
    Bob S

5. Dec 2, 2009 #4
    Thanks, well im doing an investigation, actually working with a professor at my University to publish an article, we are working on the "Meausure of the electrostatic potential, electric field and magnetic field in high voltage line" We want to compare the real values (we are gonna have to meausure to get teoric values) with experimental ones using a simulator, and he asked me to look for a code that can simulate the magnetic field in high voltage line, preferible in MATLAB, C++, FORTRAN, MAPPLE. Well that is it, hope you can help a bit more please, this gonna have a huge influence in my career.

6. Dec 2, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How about Ansoft or Comsol?

7. Dec 2, 2009 #6
    Weeeell they are actually in dollars that i dont have XD!!!
    Thats why im asking for a code (or plot) in matlab, c++ to simulate that. In a lot of articles i have investigated and most of them uses matlab or mathematicas with c++, so if any of you know of a way thats a bit economic??

8. Dec 13, 2009 #7
    Do you want to write code? Or use some written codes?
    Do you know EMTP or similar software? EMTP is code base software.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

9. Dec 13, 2009 #8
    Thanks for replying!!!
    I want to use some written codes (or plots) in the programing language i mentionted above, related to the simulation of magnetic and electric fields in high voltage transsmision lines, so if you know any information related to this you can post it.

Thanks again!!

10. Dec 14, 2009 #9
    I don't have any written code;but I access to one useful eBook (ELECTROMAGNETIC MODELING BY FINITE ELEMENT METHODS) which may be helped you for writing of your required codes. I can send it to you, if you want please inform your email address.

11. Dec 15, 2009 #10
    Thanks man!!
    My email address is adrberia@hotmail.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook