Electromechanical Door Locks

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
Danger
Gold Member
YBut they seem more secure because of the 3D nature of them (it looks like various surfaces on the key are utilized).
Not only that, but they're far more robust and as close to pick-proof as is possible for a mechanical lock. You can pack mud in one of those things and it'll still work. No return springs to break or wear out; the key itself resets the wafers to neutral when withdrawn. Lastly, it uses the side-bar system similar to Medeco and General Motors locks, so there's no sensory feedback to allow picking. I also like the fact that it's a Canuck product.

Interesting info on lock bumping. I hadn't seen that before. I think stock in the MEDECO company just went up!
what, you don't remember removing links about this just a year ago?

Depends on how secure the lock is !
Some RFID just send an ID number, most of them are very short range - ironically the cheaper/smaller they are the less sensitive the antennae and the shorter the range = more secure!
Key fobs for expensive cars and high security login keys for computers have a challenge-response system. The lock sends an encrypted message, the key manipulates that mathemetically and sends back a response, if that matches the same manipulation process in the lock it opens - a new message is generated each time and each response is different so recording them off the air isn't enough.
yeah, i guess it would depend on how secure the algorithm is. if it's some kind of PGP signature, then yeah, maybe good. problem is, manufacturers also like to put in back doors. at that point it just becomes a matter of espionage.

berkeman
Mentor
what, you don't remember removing links about this just a year ago?
Yes I do -- saw that in my search on the thread when it was necroposted. Thanks for the reminder. Thread locked.

Edit -- Kind of mean of me, sorry. Well, PF Rules practical, but still...