Electromechanical Engineering?

In summary: Mechatronics is the process of integrating electrical and mechanical systems while electromechanical engineering is the study of electrical systems.
relex
I want to be an electrical engineer, but I don't want to learn electrical principles in a vacuum from mechanical.

Some schools offer electromechanical technician two-year degrees. Those degrees have a lot of what I want, the only problem is that with those degrees I don't get the title or the pay grade or the design freedom or the advanced math or the knowledge that an engineer does.

I want an electromechanical engineering degree, but there are no ABET accredited electromechanical engineering programs. There are ABET accredited electromechanical engineering technology four-year degrees, but they are few and far between and most of them are at sub-par schools, and setting my sights on a technology degree is just a cut below my ambition.

Would any of you EEs be able to weigh in on how an aspiring EE who craves integration with ME could achieve this? I'm very new to the field and so would appreciate opinions from experienced EEs and other engineers like you guys.

I should mention that I know the engineering disciplines are discrete for a reason, and I know conventional wisdom is to just focus on one, but I see that as a last resort for me rather than an answer to my question. Please if you aren't interested in thinking about a new approach to this, don't waste your own time by answering. I'm already very aware that there are a lot of good reasons to only focus on one engineering discipline.

Physics news on Phys.org
Admin:

Thanks for moving my topic from "General Engineering" to "Academic Guidance."

I appreciate the correction and will remain conscious of where I am posting in the future.

OP, I think they call it mechatronics. I think most EE's come out of school these days with a grasp on high-level programming, digital logic and messing around with MATLAB. I've seen plenty of ME's do an EE's job but I've never seen the opposite. The math is the same with a spring-mass-damper and an LCR circuit.

The EE's who shine the brightest are the guys in RF and they did not learn what they know in a University, they grew up breathing it.

Thank you Jupiter for the response. This gives me a lot to think about. When you say mechatronics, are you referring to the mixing of electrical and mechanical systems? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, I just need to be clear with myself. I appreciate your time!

Last edited:
"Mechatronics is a design process that includes a combination of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, telecommunications engineering, control engineering and computer engineering."

You will have to learn a little bit of everything and there is a difference between Mechatronics and Electromechanical engineering.

Related to Electromechanical Engineering?

1. What is Electromechanical Engineering?

Electromechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that combines principles of both electrical and mechanical engineering. It involves the design, development, and maintenance of systems and devices that use both electrical and mechanical components.

2. What are some common applications of Electromechanical Engineering?

Electromechanical engineering is used in a wide range of applications, including robotics, automation, renewable energy systems, medical devices, and transportation systems. It is also used in the design of consumer products such as appliances and electronic devices.

3. What skills are important for a career in Electromechanical Engineering?

Some important skills for a career in Electromechanical Engineering include a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail. Effective communication and teamwork skills are also important for working on projects with other engineers and professionals.

4. What types of jobs are available for Electromechanical Engineers?

Electromechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, aerospace, energy, and healthcare. Some common job titles include design engineer, project engineer, quality engineer, and research and development engineer. They may also work as consultants or in academia.

5. What are some current trends in Electromechanical Engineering?

Some current trends in Electromechanical Engineering include the use of micro and nanotechnology in the design of smaller and more efficient devices, the integration of renewable energy systems into traditional power grids, and the development of smart and autonomous systems for various applications. There is also a growing focus on sustainability and environmentally-friendly design in the field.