Electromotive force when current is alternating

In summary: Thanks!Just for referenceIn summary, Dale notes that the consumed power is always positive at the consumer, but negative at the power source, like the generator. capacitors and inductors act as buffers that store and release power over one full cycle, and can be tuned to specific frequencies with duration.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Hello, let's imagine a generator as shown in image. I just don't understand alternative current.
-[tex]\epsilon[/tex] shouldn't be always positive? Otherwise, how can it provide anything?
Thanks
20200516_112748.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
I just don't understand alternative current.
What exactly don't you understand? How it's generated or how it's useful?

Likes mcastillo356
Sorry, I don't understand how it's useful, if sometimes is negative [tex]\epsilon[/tex], and, also, if the direction of the current changes direction; sometimes towards the consumer, and sometimes the opossite direction, towards the source

mcastillo356 said:
Sorry, I don't understand how it's useful,
The light bulb will doesn't care which way the current flows, it will flicker tough when the direction changes and the current is zero. Other consumers might need to convert the current first.

mcastillo356 said:
Sorry, I don't understand how it's useful, if sometimes is negative [tex]\epsilon[/tex], and, also, if the direction of the current changes direction; sometimes towards the consumer, and sometimes the opossite direction, towards the source

The direction in which the physical charge carriers are moving doesn't change the power dissipated. Like @A.T. mentioned, you can connect a light bulb up with either end connected to either end of the battery and it will still turn on. In each case, the charge carriers are moving in the direction of decreasing potential energy and are transferring energy to the lightbulb.

Likes Delta2
mcastillo356 said:
The purpose of the electrical grid is to deliver electrical power. That power is what makes it useful.

We know that the power can be written ##P=IV## where ##I## is the current and ##V## is the voltage. If ##I## is negative and ##V## is also negative then ##P## is positive and therefore still provides useful power.

You cannot consider either the voltage or the current separately, you need to consider them together. When you do you find that the power is always positive

Likes Delta2 and mcastillo356
Thanks, etotheipi, A.T, Dale!

Dale said:
You cannot consider either the voltage or the current separately, you need to consider them together. When you do you find that the power is always positive
The consumed power (defined as Dale notes) is always positive at the consumer, but negative at the power source, like the generator.

Likes Dale
Sorry Dale, a condenser doesn't work that way. [tex]P[/tex] and [tex]I[/tex] are not in phase. How can I understand this?. In the case of a resistence, yes. But in the case of a condenser, [tex]P[/tex] can be negative while [tex]I[/tex] positive, or at the opposite🤔

mcastillo356 said:
Sorry Dale, a condenser doesn't work that way.
Yes, everything works that way. ##P=IV## is a fundamental law in circuit theory and it always applies, 100% of the time, even for capacitors and inductors where ##I## and ##V## are not in phase.

For capacitors and inductors it means that during half of their cycle they are absorbing power from the circuit and during the other half of their cycle they are releasing power to the circuit. Over one full cycle their average power is 0 meaning that they do not dissipate power but just store it temporarily. The duration of the temporary storage can be used to tune circuits to specific frequencies.

Likes Delta2, mcastillo356 and etotheipi
Thanks Dale!. I really appreciate your help. I've understood something difficult...No, not difficult, now that I've read your post.

Likes berkeman and Dale

1. What is electromotive force (EMF) in relation to alternating current?

Electromotive force, also known as voltage, is the driving force behind the flow of electric current. In alternating current (AC), the direction of current flow changes periodically, resulting in a constantly changing EMF.

2. How is EMF measured in alternating current circuits?

EMF is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. In AC circuits, the EMF is constantly changing, so the voltmeter will display the root mean square (RMS) value, which is the effective voltage over time.

3. What causes EMF to be induced in an alternating current circuit?

EMF is induced in an AC circuit when there is a change in the magnetic field passing through a conductor. This change in magnetic field can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a changing current or a moving magnet.

4. How does EMF affect the flow of current in an alternating current circuit?

EMF is the driving force behind the flow of current in an AC circuit. As the EMF changes, the direction of current flow also changes, resulting in an alternating current.

5. What is the relationship between EMF and frequency in an alternating current circuit?

The frequency of an AC circuit is directly related to the rate at which the EMF changes. As the frequency increases, the rate of change of the EMF also increases, resulting in a higher frequency AC current.