Electron and linear potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the investigation of an electron incident on a linear potential, specifically in terms of creating a linear potential experimentally. The possibility of using diodes or a vacuum to investigate the incoming electron is mentioned, as well as the existence of linear potentials in the space between two parallel plates with different potentials. The conversation also briefly touches on the theory of the Big Bang and its potential conflict with the law of conservation of momentum. The discussion ultimately focuses on the use of a linear potential function, V(x) = ax + b, and the potential for investigating quantum mechanical tunneling of an electron in this scenario.
PhilSh
For my current assignment we are investigating an electron incident on a linear potential. For the most part i am happy with my answers, however i am having trouble answering one question - how would one create a linear potential experimentally?

I know linear potentials exist in diodes, but i believe a vacuum would be required to investigate the incoming electron for the present problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean a V(x) that is linear in x, i.e. V(x) = ax + b where a and b are constants? The space between two parallel plates that are at different potentials has a linear potential function.

hi

jtbell said:
Do you mean a V(x) that is linear in x, i.e. V(x) = ax + b where a and b are constants? The space between two parallel plates that are at different potentials has a linear potential function.

From a person that is a beginner in physics but wishes to know.
according to the theory of big bang the universe was made by
a point of energy that exploted, but isn't this going against
the law of conservation of momentum which says that there
have to be a source of matter a nucleous that will absorb
both the energy and momentum?

Thanks for the reply jtbell, yes, i do mean "a V(x) that is linear in x, i.e. V(x) = ax + b where a and b are constants?"

In order to investigate quantum mechanical tunneling of this electron is it possible to have an electron emmitted from one plate to the other with the plates in a vacuum? You see, while the potential is linear between said plates, i am investigating an electron incident such that it sees the potential as V(x)=ax, not incident perpindicular to the potential.

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge that orbits the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the building blocks of matter and is responsible for many of the chemical and physical properties of elements.

2. What is a linear potential?

A linear potential is a type of potential energy that varies in a linear fashion with distance. This means that the potential energy increases or decreases at a constant rate as the distance from the origin increases.

3. How do electrons interact with a linear potential?

Electrons are affected by linear potentials in a similar way to how a ball would roll down a ramp. The electrons will accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction of the potential, and their final energy will depend on their initial energy and the potential energy at their final position.

4. What is the relationship between electrons and linear potential in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, electrons are described by wave functions which are solutions to the Schrödinger equation. The potential energy of the electron is included in this equation, and the linear potential is one type of potential that can be used to model the behavior of electrons.

5. How is the concept of linear potential used in practical applications?

The concept of linear potential is used in various practical applications, such as in electronic devices where electrons are manipulated using electric fields. Linear potentials are also used in particle accelerators to accelerate particles to high energies for research purposes.