1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Electron beam energy to acceleration potential relation

1. May 26, 2017 #1
    Hi,
    How can I relate the beam energy of an electron beam produced by an electron gun to the accelerating potential? I realise that accelerating potential, initial energy (before acceleation), and losses by synchrotron radiation, etc, will play a part.
    I searched online and can't find much.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2017 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's amazing. The Electron Volt is discussed in so many places and it is the energy that an electron gains when accelerated across a Potential Difference of 1V. Everything else hangs on that.
    Energy loss by synchrotron radiation depends on the curvature of the path and is a different phenomenon. Try this link for a bit of insight.

4. May 26, 2017 #3
    Oh, about the synchrotron radiation, I was planning on bending the beam path in a magnetic field. Sorry, I must have been searching incorrectly. So my 6 kV supply should give a 6 kEv beam. Thanks, you've clarified a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted