Electron in an electirc field.

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential difference needed for an electron to reach a speed of 1.80×106 m/s. The equation E=.5 m v^2=eV is mentioned, and the person notes that they checked if relativity was important but it was not. They also mention plugging in values for mass and velocity, but not getting the correct answer. However, they later realize that the units were in Joules and needed to be converted to Volts.
PhyzicsOfHockey

Homework Statement

Across what potential difference does an electron have to be accelerated in order to reach speed v=1.80×106 m/s?

Homework Equations

I checked to see if relativity was important and it was not
E=.5 m v^2=eV

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if I am mistaken in what I am trying to find but I thought the potential difference in this case was .5mv^2 But when I plug in 9.109x10^-31 kg in for the mass and 1.8x10^6 m.s for the velocity I don't get the right answer. I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out what I was doing wrong. It was in Joules and I needed to convert to Volts.

Your approach is correct, but you may be using the wrong value for the charge of an electron. The correct value is 1.602x10^-19 C. Also, make sure you are using the correct units for the mass and velocity (kg and m/s, respectively). When you plug in the correct values, you should get a potential difference of approximately 1.64x10^-13 V.

1. What is an electron in an electric field?

An electron in an electric field is a concept in physics that describes the behavior of an electron when it is subjected to an electric field. An electric field is a force field that exists between two charged objects, and it can exert a force on an electron, causing it to move in a certain direction.

2. How does an electron behave in an electric field?

An electron in an electric field will experience a force due to the electric field. The direction of the force will depend on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the electron. If the electric field is positive, the electron will be attracted to it and move in the direction of the field. If the electric field is negative, the electron will be repelled and move in the opposite direction.

3. What is the equation for the force on an electron in an electric field?

The force on an electron in an electric field can be calculated using the equation: F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the electron, and E is the electric field strength. This equation shows that the force is directly proportional to the charge and the electric field strength.

4. How does the speed of an electron change in an electric field?

The speed of an electron in an electric field will change depending on the strength of the electric field. If the electric field is strong, the force on the electron will be greater, causing it to accelerate and increase in speed. If the electric field is weak, the force and speed of the electron will be lower.

5. How does an electric field affect the path of an electron?

An electric field can cause an electron to change its path or trajectory. If the electric field is uniform, the electron will move in a straight line. However, if the electric field is non-uniform or changes in strength, the electron's path will be curved, as it will experience a changing force along its path.