Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron mass from DSR (Caveat Lector)

1. May 17, 2005 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

"Dear colleague, your paper is completely crazy. The only question is whether it is crazy enough to be right!"

Somebody famous said this. or something like it. Anybody remember who?

does anyone know who Cardone is? or Marrani, or Mignani?

this was posted today 16 May, as an improved version of something they published a couple of years ago.

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0505134
    The electron mass from Deformed Special Relativity
    Fabio Cardone, Alessio Marrani, Roberto Mignani
    16 pages. Slightly improved version with respect to the published one (some misprints corrected, Ref.s added, Eq.s revised, comments made)
    Journal-ref: Electromagnetic Phenomena V.3, n.1(9) (2003), special number dedicated to Dirac's centenary

"Deformed Special Relativity (DSR) is a generalization of Special Relativity based on a deformed Minkowski space, i.e. a four-dimensional space-time with metric coefficients depending on the energy. We show that, in the DSR framework, it is possible to derive the value of the electron mass from the space-time geometry via the experimental knowledge of the parameter of local Lorentz invariance breakdown, and of the Minkowskian threshold energy E_{0,em} for the electromagnetic interaction."

And here is a companion paper, also posted today:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0505137
    A geometrical meaning to the electron mass from breakdown of Lorentz invariance
    Fabio Cardone, Alessio Marrani, Roberto Mignani
    15 pages. To be published in the monograph "What is electron?", Apeiron (2005)

"We discuss the problem of the electron mass in the framework of Deformed Special Relativity (DSR), a generalization of Special Relativity based on a deformed Minkowski space (i.e. a four-dimensional space-time with metric coefficients depending on the energy). We show that, by such a formalism, it is possible to derive the value of the electron mass from the space-time geometry via the experimental knowledge of the parameter of local Lorentz invariance breakdown, and of the Minkowskian threshold energy E_{0,em} for the electromagnetic interaction. We put forward the suggestion that mass generation can be related, in DSR, to the possible dependence of mass on the metric background (relativity of mass)."

We live in interesting times

I found 72 papers for Roberto Mignani, going back to 1997
    http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/au:+Mignani_R/0/1/0/all/0/1
    mostly in Astrophysics

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2005 #2

ohwilleke

Gold Member

This does sound like a notable paper. The paper definitely suffers from a poor translation from Italian into English, however.

4. May 17, 2005 #3

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I am glad you see some possible interest here, ohwilleke. I posted it just in case someone else might be able to do something with it. right now I feel stretched too thin----I am most interested by CDT, the recent papers by Ambjorn Jurkiewicz Loll, especially the latest one where spacetime dimension varies and is less at small scale.
    here's a link to what I'm talking about: those papers and the posts immediately preceding that one.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=569979#post569979
    I find it hard to understand and hard to think about anything else
    :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?