Electron mass from DSR (Caveat Lector)

In summary, this paper discusses the possibility that the electron mass can be derived from the geometry of space-time. It is interesting, but I find it difficult to understand and difficult to think about anything else.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
"Dear colleague, your paper is completely crazy. The only question is whether it is crazy enough to be right!"

Somebody famous said this. or something like it. Anybody remember who?

does anyone know who Cardone is? or Marrani, or Mignani?

this was posted today 16 May, as an improved version of something they published a couple of years ago.

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0505134
The electron mass from Deformed Special Relativity
Fabio Cardone, Alessio Marrani, Roberto Mignani
16 pages. Slightly improved version with respect to the published one (some misprints corrected, Ref.s added, Eq.s revised, comments made)
Journal-ref: Electromagnetic Phenomena V.3, n.1(9) (2003), special number dedicated to Dirac's centenary

"Deformed Special Relativity (DSR) is a generalization of Special Relativity based on a deformed Minkowski space, i.e. a four-dimensional space-time with metric coefficients depending on the energy. We show that, in the DSR framework, it is possible to derive the value of the electron mass from the space-time geometry via the experimental knowledge of the parameter of local Lorentz invariance breakdown, and of the Minkowskian threshold energy E_{0,em} for the electromagnetic interaction."

And here is a companion paper, also posted today:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0505137
A geometrical meaning to the electron mass from breakdown of Lorentz invariance
Fabio Cardone, Alessio Marrani, Roberto Mignani
15 pages. To be published in the monograph "What is electron?", Apeiron (2005)

"We discuss the problem of the electron mass in the framework of Deformed Special Relativity (DSR), a generalization of Special Relativity based on a deformed Minkowski space (i.e. a four-dimensional space-time with metric coefficients depending on the energy). We show that, by such a formalism, it is possible to derive the value of the electron mass from the space-time geometry via the experimental knowledge of the parameter of local Lorentz invariance breakdown, and of the Minkowskian threshold energy E_{0,em} for the electromagnetic interaction. We put forward the suggestion that mass generation can be related, in DSR, to the possible dependence of mass on the metric background (relativity of mass)."

We live in interesting times

I found 72 papers for Roberto Mignani, going back to 1997
http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/au:+Mignani_R/0/1/0/all/0/1
mostly in Astrophysics

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This does sound like a notable paper. The paper definitely suffers from a poor translation from Italian into English, however.

Last edited:
ohwilleke said:
This does sound like a notable paper. The paper definitely suffers from a poor translation from Italian into English, however.

I am glad you see some possible interest here, ohwilleke. I posted it just in case someone else might be able to do something with it. right now I feel stretched too thin----I am most interested by CDT, the recent papers by Ambjorn Jurkiewicz Loll, especially the latest one where spacetime dimension varies and is less at small scale.
here's a link to what I'm talking about: those papers and the posts immediately preceding that one.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=569979#post569979
I find it hard to understand and hard to think about anything else
:smile:

Last edited:

1. What is DSR?

DSR stands for "Doubly Special Relativity" and is a framework that attempts to reconcile the principles of special relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. How does DSR relate to the electron mass?

DSR predicts that the mass of an electron may vary at extremely high energies. This is due to the fact that DSR proposes a modification to the energy-momentum relation, which affects the mass-energy equivalence.

3. What is the "Caveat Lector" in this context?

"Caveat Lector" is a Latin phrase meaning "let the reader beware". In this context, it serves as a reminder that the predictions made by DSR are still being explored and tested, and may not yet be fully supported by empirical evidence.

4. How is the electron mass measured in DSR?

In DSR, the electron mass can be measured through the analysis of its energy-momentum relation. This can be done through experiments involving collisions and interactions with other particles.

5. What are the implications of DSR for our understanding of the universe?

DSR is still a highly debated and speculative theory, so its implications for our understanding of the universe are not yet fully known. However, if DSR is proven to be correct, it could provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and potentially lead to new discoveries and technologies.