Electron Properties: Electric vs Magnetic Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of electric and magnetic fields to deflect moving electrons and the comparison of their strengths. It also touches on the conservation of energy and the role of electric and magnetic fields in deflecting electrons. The discussion concludes that the energy needed to deflect electrons depends on the form of energy used, but in all cases, the electron gains kinetic energy.
Mihai Dinu
We can deflect a moving electron using an electric field or using a magnetic field. In order to obtain the same deviation, when the energy we should use is higher? Or, in other words, the "electric" or the "magnetic" property is stronger?

Likes kuenso st
Physics news on Phys.org
Mihai Dinu said:
In order to obtain the same deviation, when the energy we should use is higher?
What about conservation of energy?

Likes DocZaius
Take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force
For electrons moving less than the speed of light (always the case), the electric force is stronger. But for relativistic electrons, the forces are about equal.

Khashishi said:
the electric force is stronger

Only if B = E in those particular units.

I try to choose the "cheapest energetic" way to deflect an electron, based on its known interactions. The electron has, also, a mass. Hypothetically, I could obtain same deflection as in previous case using this time gravitational attraction of another mass. How can this mass be compared with previous cases in terms of energy effort?

Last edited:
Mihai Dinu said:
I try to choose the "cheapest energetic" way to deflect an electron, based on its known interactions.
Let me repeat myself: What about conservation of energy?

DrClaude said:
Let me repeat myself: What about conservation of energy?
I understand. To obtain a certain same deviation, I have use the same energy, no matter what form it has.

Mihai Dinu said:
I understand. To obtain a certain same deviation, I have use the same energy, no matter what form it has.
Yes :smile:

I need a bit of help with this. No work need be done on an object if its motion is circular. If we had a fixed pivot and a length of string, the Force X Distance would be zero. Where is the difference with circular motion in a magnetic field? Or are we discussion the Energy needed to set up the field?

Vanadium 50 said:
Only if B = E in those particular units.
Yeah. That's the case in any reasonable system of units, in which electricity and magnetism are unified. Kind of hard to talk about an electromagnetic field, when the electric and magnetic fields have different dimensions.

As far as deflecting electrons, if you have high voltages handy, electric fields are usually a good option. But if it's easier to provide high currents then electromagnets might be a better choice. Neither type of force field is intrinsically stronger.

David Lewis said:
As far as deflecting electrons, if you have high voltages handy, electric fields are usually a good option. But if it's easier to provide high currents then electromagnets might be a better choice. Neither type of force field is intrinsically stronger.
When the electron pass between the plates of a polarized (ideal) capacitor, the electric field modifies the trajectory of this electron. One billion electrons can follow and the capacitor field will be unchanged. Some work is done. Where comes this energy from?

Mihai Dinu said:
When the electron pass between the plates of a polarized (ideal) capacitor, the electric field modifies the trajectory of this electron. One billion electrons can follow and the capacitor field will be unchanged. Some work is done. Where comes this energy from?

Why isn't this obvious that it comes from the E-field? Turn off the field, no deflection.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Why isn't this obvious that it comes from the E-field? Turn off the field, no deflection.

Zz.
I can not turn off the field, because it comes from the electrons of one plate and the ions of the other plate, and their number is not changed, no matter how many free electrons cross this field.

Mihai Dinu said:
I can not turn off the field, because it comes from the electrons of one plate and the ions of the other plate, and their number is not changed, no matter how many free electrons cross this field.

You missed the entire point of my post!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You missed the entire point of my post!

Zz.
I tried to understand: Free electrons that cross the capacitor static field change trajectories, so work is done, but the capacitor field rest unchanged forever. Where comes the new energy from?
Now I think at this scenario: the incoming kinetic electron starts to interact with the capacitor field and transferes energy to capacitor field by disturbing one by one the electrons from the plates, upto the moment when the capacitor field starts to restore its minimum state and pushes out the disturbing electron. So the electron gets no new energy, only a new trajectory - if case.

Last edited:
Correct. No energy need be consumed in deflecting electrons. You could use a permanent magnet, for example. There may be an energy input required to maintain an electric field (replace charge leakage) or magnetic field (resistance of the coil).

Mihai Dinu said:
I tried to understand: Free electrons that cross the capacitor static field change trajectories, so work is done, but the capacitor field rest unchanged forever. Where comes the new energy from?
Now I think at this scenario: the incoming kinetic electron starts to interact with the capacitor field and transferes energy to capacitor field by disturbing one by one the electrons from the plates, upto the moment when the capacitor field starts to restore its minimum state and pushes out the disturbing electron. So the electron gets no new energy, only a new trajectory - if case.

This is incorrect for electrons in electric field, and certainly not true for uniform electric field such as that found in between parallel plate capacitors. The electrons gain kinetic energy from the E-field. This is similar to projectile motion in uniform gravitational field. So it isn't just a change in trajectory, as is the case for uniform magnetic field. There IS KE change! It is how we accelerate charged particles in particle accelerators.

Zz.

Related to Electron Properties: Electric vs Magnetic Fields

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

The main difference between electric and magnetic fields is that electric fields are created by electric charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges. Electric fields act as a force on other electric charges, while magnetic fields act as a force on moving electric charges.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields interact with each other?

Electric and magnetic fields can interact with each other through a phenomenon known as electromagnetic induction. When a magnetic field changes, it can create an electric field, and vice versa. This is the principle behind generators and electric motors.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric and magnetic fields?

The unit of measurement for electric fields is volts per meter (V/m), while the unit for magnetic fields is tesla (T). Another commonly used unit for magnetic fields is gauss (G), where 1 T = 10,000 G.

4. Can electric and magnetic fields be shielded or blocked?

Yes, both electric and magnetic fields can be shielded or blocked by certain materials. Electric fields can be blocked by materials that are good insulators, such as rubber and plastic. Magnetic fields can be shielded by materials that are good conductors, such as iron and copper.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields have numerous practical applications in our everyday lives. Some examples include electricity generation and distribution, MRI machines in healthcare, and the use of magnets in motors and speakers. They are also used in technology such as televisions, computers, and cell phones.