Electron Wavelength: Find Data Here

In summary, the individual is in search of experimentally determined values for the wavelength of an electron, not calculated using de Broglie's equation. They are specifically looking for data on the wavelength of an electron in free flight, but are unable to find any. However, they have found information on the wavelength of electrons in atoms and the use of electron microscopes. They are also interested in the voltage of the power supply used to accelerate the electron.
repugno
Hello all,

I have been searching the web to find experimentally determined values for the wavelength of an electron but have been unable to find the data. Can anyone tell me where I can find such data? (not calculated with de Broglies equation). Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The wavelength of an electron is dependent on its velocity, which is in turn dependent on the strength of the electric field accelerating it.

I don't know off the top of my head of an experiment that has measured the wavelength of an electron in free flight- i.e. in an electron beam in a vacuum- but I do know that the design details of modern CRTs (televisions, computer monitors, and oscilloscope tubes) depend sensitively upon the electron beam's wavelength, so the equation that describes it must be pretty accurate or none of these common devices would work. More sensitive knowledge is implied by the use of electron microscopes, which have been around since the mid-twentieth century.

I was able to google up several papers where wavelengths of electrons in atoms were being reported on. So it looks like there is more recent work on this problem than on the free-flight problem.

thanks for the reply. that is not what I'm looking for. I am trying to find a measured wavelength of an electron and if possible the voltage of the power supply accelerating it.

FAQ: Electron Wavelength: Find Data Here

1. What is electron wavelength?

Electron wavelength is a measure of the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of an electron wave. It is a characteristic property of electrons and varies depending on the energy of the electron.

2. How is electron wavelength calculated?

The formula for calculating electron wavelength is λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, and v is the velocity of the electron.

3. What is the importance of electron wavelength in scientific research?

Electron wavelength is important in various fields of science, such as quantum mechanics and materials science, as it allows us to understand the behavior of electrons in different systems. It is also used in electron microscopy to determine the resolution and magnification of images.

4. How does electron wavelength differ from other types of waves?

Electron wavelength differs from other types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves, in that it is a characteristic of particles rather than a form of energy. It also has a much smaller wavelength compared to other waves, making it useful for studying objects at the atomic level.

5. Can electron wavelength be observed experimentally?

Yes, electron wavelength can be observed experimentally through various techniques such as electron diffraction, which involves passing a beam of electrons through a thin crystal to produce an interference pattern. This pattern can then be used to calculate the wavelength of the electrons.

Back