Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron wavelength

1. Jan 20, 2005 #1
    Hello all,

I have been searching the web to find experimentally determined values for the wavelength of an electron but have been unable to find the data. Can anyone tell me where I can find such data? (not calculated with de Broglies equation). Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2

DB

4. Jan 20, 2005 #3
    The wavelength of an electron is dependent on its velocity, which is in turn dependent on the strength of the electric field accelerating it.

I don't know off the top of my head of an experiment that has measured the wavelength of an electron in free flight- i.e. in an electron beam in a vacuum- but I do know that the design details of modern CRTs (televisions, computer monitors, and oscilloscope tubes) depend sensitively upon the electron beam's wavelength, so the equation that describes it must be pretty accurate or none of these common devices would work. More sensitive knowledge is implied by the use of electron microscopes, which have been around since the mid-twentieth century.

I was able to google up several papers where wavelengths of electrons in atoms were being reported on. So it looks like there is more recent work on this problem than on the free-flight problem.

5. Jan 20, 2005 #4
    thanks for the reply. that is not what I'm looking for. I am trying to find a measured wavelength of an electron and if possible the voltage of the power supply accelerating it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?