1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronics converting sine waves to current

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    How are sine waves converted to current??
    Im doing avionics in physics at the moment and we are talking about receivers... i now that the resonate oscilates at certain frequency and the antenna picks up the sine waves that are at the frequency... but how are they then turned into current??
    thanks!! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2

dst

They get cosined :rolleyes:

No really, "sine waves" are a mathematical tool, not real waves! What you're thinking about are photons/electromagnetic waves.

It's an outcome of Maxwell's equations, if I remember correctly. An alternating current in an antenna causes electrons to move back and forth. According to Maxwell, if a moving charge decreases in velocity then it has to emit energy (in the form of photons). These photons carry a specific amount of energy and the reciever picks specifically these up.

If I remember correctly, the reciever also picks up all sorts of crap which is where a ****load of techniques (both mathematical and physical) to isolate the one signal.

Another "if I remember correctly", the antenna has to be a certain length or some other to induce a standing wave in the antenna.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  4. Mar 29, 2008 #3
    It's done with a type of recifier (in receivers is called the detector)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?