Sine wave & reflection question?

In summary, it is possible to change a wave's frequency, pattern, and amplitude by adding another wave to it. Specifically, by adding a second wave to a sine wave, it is possible to turn it into a cosine wave of the same amplitude. However, this requires a higher amplitude for the cosine wave, so there may be a simpler way to achieve this. As for understanding the physics behind reflection, there are various websites and resources available, such as hyperphysics and PhET.
shintashi
I seem to recall it is possible to change a wave's frequency, pattern, and amplitude by adding another wave to it.

Is it possible to add a second wave to a Sine wave to turn it into a cosine wave of the same amplitude and how would you do this? I'm thinking if I had an amplitude 1 for the sinewave, an amplitude 2 cosine wave would wipe out the sine wave and be reduced to a cosine wave. Is there a simpler way of doing this requiring less amplitude?

As a side note on waves, is there a good place/website to understand the physics behind reflection?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a question, not "learning materials" so I am moving this to "Introductory Physics".

So you think sin(x)+2cos(x) = cos(x)?

If this were true, then sin(x) = -cos(x) would also be true (which it isn't). What you're probably thinking of is the http://physics.tamuk.edu/~suson/html/4323/super.html.

I'm not sure what specifically you're looking for in regards to reflection (sound? light? mechanical waves?), but a couple of sites that have been handy for me are hyperphysics and PhET (I seem to recall a simulation or two involving waves/pulses on a string)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a sine wave?

A sine wave is a mathematical curve that describes a smooth repetitive oscillation. It is a fundamental wave shape often seen in science and mathematics, and can be used to represent various natural phenomena such as light, sound, and water waves.

2. How is a sine wave created?

A sine wave can be created by a simple harmonic motion, where a particle moves back and forth in a straight line with a constant frequency and amplitude. It can also be generated using an electronic oscillator circuit or digitally through mathematical calculations.

3. What is the relationship between a sine wave and reflection?

When a sine wave encounters a boundary or obstacle, it undergoes reflection, which means it bounces back and continues to travel in the opposite direction. The angle of incidence of the wave is equal to the angle of reflection, and the reflected wave has the same frequency and wavelength as the original wave.

4. How does the amplitude of a reflected sine wave compare to the original wave?

The amplitude of a reflected sine wave is the same as the original wave if the reflecting surface is perfectly smooth. However, if the surface is rough or uneven, the reflected wave may have a reduced amplitude due to energy being absorbed or scattered.

5. Can a sine wave be used in real-life applications?

Yes, sine waves have numerous real-life applications, including communication systems, audio and radio signals, AC electrical circuits, and musical instruments. They are also used in physics experiments and simulations to demonstrate wave behavior and interference.