1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronics engineering physics guidance

1. Mar 24, 2013 #1
    Greetings, new member here from Mexico. :)
    I'm currently in 2nd Semester in electronics engineering and looking for some advice on what topics in physics I should emphasize for my career choice. 1st semester I took classical mechanics (units,vectors,1D motion, 2D motion, work were some topics covered) and now I'm currently taking "General physics" we just covered a little bit of fluids and thermodynamics and we'll study waves and optics. Next semester I'll take electromagnetism and physics of semiconductors. Of the physics I have taken as of now I don't remember by memory some formulas or some topics but can apply them if I re read a little bit, what would be the branches of physics I should pay special attention to and be really good at? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would say that you should learn essentially all of it - not the answer you want, I know. To narrow it down, as an electrical engineer myself I would say that the topics you will likely need the most are: electricity and magnetism, waves, optics, and semiconductors. However, basic thermo can help you be more comfortable with things like thermal analysis of circuits (how big of a heat sink do I need on this transistor so it does't burn up?), and mechanics comes up more than you might think so being comfortable with at least F=ma and basic rotational dynamics can come in handy. There is a reason why these courses are required!

best of luck,

jason

4. Mar 24, 2013 #3
    Thanks for sharing your experience Jason, as a side question, which subject were some of the toughest one you took as a student? I'm curious because in the college I'm attending and the other colleges around that offer electronics engineering, Circuits seems to have a bad reputation. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook