Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrons And Radiation

1. May 25, 2012 #1

san203

Gold Member

I am back with another doubt and i am in 11th grade now

Can someone please explain what the electron really is.
    I have been taught that it was a particle when suddenly(i was expecting this) the teacher says that Electron has dual nature just like light(both particle as well as wave).I have real trouble visualizing this.
    What is this dual nature thing exactly?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave–particle_duality

It has been shown that all particles, including electrons, have properties of particles and properties of waves depending on how we measure them. The dual slit experiment is a perfect example. Shooting one electron at a time through the slits gives rise to an interference pattern over time, which is a wavelike property. (This means that in our everyday world only actual waves such as water waves would show this property, not something like baseballs) Since there is only one electron at a time in the slits, the electrons must be interfering with themselves to form an interference pattern.

4. Jun 2, 2012 #3
    Welcome to Quantum Theory 101.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook