Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrons exposed to time-dependent force

1. Dec 23, 2015 #1
    I have begun studying Ashcroft + Mermin on my own, and am trying to follow the math in the text. They suggest that an electron in a metal with some momentum p(t) and exposed to a force f(t) will at some time later (t+dt) have a contribution to the momentum on the order of f(t)dt plus another term on the order of dt*dt. My question is where does this dt^2 term enter? My instinct is to say that F=dp/dt, and that the change in momentum can then be given (very simplistically?) by f(t)dt. Obviously, a form of f(t) and an integral is in order, but I cannot see the logic of what is stated in the text.

Any and all help or guidance on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The term of order dt^2 comes from the fact that f(t) is not necessarily constant in time. It is related to the derivative of f(t).

4. Dec 23, 2015 #3
    Why does this matter, though? I would think Newton's 2nd law would be used, and then a change in the momentum would simply be given by f(t)dt. I'm not sure what else should be done to lead to anything else.

5. Dec 23, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is just using Newton's second law, but Newton's second law is just the limit when dt goes to zero and so agrees with your result.

6. Dec 23, 2015 #5
    I figured it out I think. If the force at t+dt is instead expressed using a first-order approximated taylor series, then the extra dt comes out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook