How Much Gold Can Be Plated Using the Current That Plated 4.97g of Silver?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the amount of gold plated out of a solution of AuCl3 using the same current that was used to plate out 4.97g of silver from an AgNO3 solution. The participants discuss the use of charge, time, and current in the calculation, as well as the ratio of gold to silver. It is mentioned that the charge for the silver can be obtained, and that there are a specific number of moles of electrons representing the reduction of gold. The current is given, so it is not necessary to account for differences in reduction potentials.
scavok
How many grams of gold would be plated out of a solution of AuCl3 by the same amount of current which was used to plate out 4.97g of silver from AgNO3 solution?

I can get the charge for the silver, 8892 C, but it seems I'm missing something to get the current. Current = Charge/Time. I only have the charge. All 2 examples in my text have the amount of time included in the question along with either the amount of grams (solving for the current) produced or the current used (solving for the mass produced).

What am I missing? Is there a way to get the amount of time it takes to produce x grams with y charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the same current in both cases, you can assume any amount of time you like. All you are looking for is a ratio of gold to silver. Try doing the calculation using t for time without putting in a number, leaving your amounts deposited expressed in terms of t. When you take the ratio, what happens to t?

Once you get the ratio, you can find the gold from the silver.

Simple factor labeling is all that's necessary, the time will correspond to the time at which 4.97 grams of silver was obtained with the particular current.

I'm assuming that you know how to obtain the charge corresponding to 4.97 grams of silver. However, note that there are 3x(avogadro's number) moles of electrons representing the reduction of gold.

The current is given,thus you don't need to take into account the differences in reduction potentials.

"given" as in "assumed"

1. What is electroplating?

Electroplating is a process in which a thin layer of metal is deposited onto a conductive surface using an electric current. It is commonly used for decorative and functional purposes, such as creating a shiny finish or preventing corrosion.

2. What are some common problems that can occur during electroplating?

Some common problems during electroplating include poor adhesion of the plated metal, uneven plating thickness, and contamination of the plating solution. These issues can result in a poor quality finish and reduced durability of the plated object.

3. How can I prevent contamination of the plating solution?

To prevent contamination, it is important to properly clean and prepare the surface before electroplating. This includes removing any oils, dirt, or rust from the surface. It is also important to monitor and maintain the pH and temperature of the plating solution.

4. How can I troubleshoot poor adhesion of the plated metal?

Poor adhesion can be caused by several factors, including inadequate surface preparation, high plating current, and poor solution quality. To troubleshoot this issue, ensure that the surface is thoroughly cleaned and roughened, reduce the plating current, and check the quality of the plating solution.

5. Can electroplating be used on non-metallic surfaces?

Yes, electroplating can be used on non-metallic surfaces by coating them with a conductive material, such as graphite or copper, before the plating process. This allows the electric current to flow and deposit the metal onto the non-metallic surface.