1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electroplating problem

1. Apr 28, 2005 #1
    I can get the charge for the silver, 8892 C, but it seems I'm missing something to get the current. Current = Charge/Time. I only have the charge. All 2 examples in my text have the amount of time included in the question along with either the amount of grams (solving for the current) produced or the current used (solving for the mass produced).

What am I missing? Is there a way to get the amount of time it takes to produce x grams with y charge?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have the same current in both cases, you can assume any amount of time you like. All you are looking for is a ratio of gold to silver. Try doing the calculation using t for time without putting in a number, leaving your amounts deposited expressed in terms of t. When you take the ratio, what happens to t?

Once you get the ratio, you can find the gold from the silver.

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Simple factor labeling is all that's necessary, the time will correspond to the time at which 4.97 grams of silver was obtained with the particular current.

I'm assuming that you know how to obtain the charge corresponding to 4.97 grams of silver. However, note that there are 3x(avogadro's number) moles of electrons representing the reduction of gold.

The current is given,thus you don't need to take into account the differences in reduction potentials.

5. Apr 30, 2005 #4

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"given" as in "assumed"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?