1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Field Lab Question

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Based on Volts and distance, calculate the max Electric Field between lines.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    We basically connected a 6Vdc battery to a plate containing two conductors and use a multimeter to plot the lines of flux of the field. To find the max magnitude of the electric field I would apply coulombs law two a point between the two conductors with charges 6 and -6 Volts. However, I don't know how to do that using volts and distance, since I an not given the charges in coulombs. If the electric field can also be defined as Volts/Meter, how would one go about doing that?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Generally we have that ##\mathbf{E}=-\nabla V##, which can also be written as ##\int \mathbf{E} \cdot d{s} = -\Delta V## along some path.

For a small step in the direction of the electric field this means: ##E = -{\Delta V \over \Delta s}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook