Electrostatic force-Coulombs law

In summary, you have calculated the vectors and attempted to solve for the resultant force. However, you may need help from a textbook to properly attack the problem.
Thrax

Homework Statement

Hi, I am working on the following question.
A 64 µC charge is located 30cm to the left of a 16 µC charge. What is the resultant force on a -12 µC charge positioned exactly 50mm below the 16 µC charge?

Homework Equations

Coulombs law

The Attempt at a Solution

I see a right triangle So I tried to solve using the vector components as follows
Fac=9.0e9(65x10e-6 * 12x10e-6)/(.3^2+.05^2) = 74.72C
Fbc = 9.0e9(16x10e-6 * 12x10e-6)/(.05^2) = 691.2C

For the rest, I'm not sure if I'm attacking this thing properly to solve for the vectors? I've tried at least 6 times... but no luck.

I could use a little direction...I attached a picture of the problem. My be helpful if it show's up.

Attachments

• Problem.bmp
    292.2 KB · Views: 552
Physics news on Phys.org
You have calculated the magnitudes of the vectors. Now you need to add them as vectors to find the resultant force. If you tried this without success, you need to show what you did so we can point out where you went wrong. By the way, force is measured in Newtons, abbreviation N, not C.

OK...heres what I've done. Flipped the triangle a little setting C and B on the x axis. I'm new to all this stuff so please forgive my ignorance.
Fbc = 691.2
Fac = 74.72

Fbcx = 691.2
Fbcy = 0

Facx = 74.72N cos(80) = 12.28
Facy = 74.72 sin(80) = 73.58

Fbcx + Fbcy
691.2 + 12.28 = 703.48
Fbcy + Facy
0 + 12.28 = 73.58
Finally
Fc = Sqrt(703.48 ^2 + 73.58^2) = 707.32N
Not sure where I’m going wrong…but I know I’m incorrect.

I didn't check your arithmetic, but your basic method looks OK. How do you know it's incorrect?

The textbook I have gave an answer. According to them the correct answer is 2650N, 113.3deg.

I get 707.3 for the resultant. Looks like you are OK here.

Thrax said:
The textbook I have gave an answer. According to them the correct answer is 2650N, 113.3deg.
The textbook answer is way off. (What textbook?)

Thrax said:
Unless both you and I made the same mistake exactly, the problem as stated has the answer that you gave. Are you sure you posted the problem as it appears in the book? If yes, then you need to consider that sometimes the back of the book has the wrong answers. In physics if you're right, you're right.

The textbook is called. "Physics" 7th edition by Paul E. Tippens. Mc Graw Hill

Yes, I typed it exactly as it appears.

You spend so much on textbooks...You'd think the least they could do is edit!

If you guys think it’s OK...than its OK with me! Thanks for taking a look!

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force that exists between two charged particles. It is an attractive force between opposite charges and a repulsive force between like charges.

2. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the magnitude of the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How is electrostatic force calculated?

To calculate the electrostatic force between two charged particles, we use the equation F = k(q1q2)/r2, where F is the force, k is the constant of proportionality (9 x 10^9 Nm2/C2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does distance affect electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. What is the unit of electrostatic force?

The unit of electrostatic force is Newtons (N). It is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s2. It can also be expressed in terms of Coulombs (C), the unit of electric charge, as N = C^2/m2.