1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Potential Problems

1. May 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm currently tackling parts (a) and (b) of section ii) decribed here:http://puu.sh/31KIZ.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

V=(q/4∏ε)*(1/r)

3. The attempt at a solution

From the first section (i) calculating the potential was relatively straight forward since we were only considering a plane. In part (a) however it just asks me for the potential outside the sphere, and I'm unsure how to calculate this since I can't seem to figure out how to determine the potential at any single point due to either charge (especially since I can't work out the distance between them). Though section (b) also seems puzzling to me, I'm guessing that solving part (a) will aid me in figuring it out.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... you already know an equation for the potential due to a point charge don't you?
    The point of the method of images is to replace the distributed charges on the conductor with a single charge and no conductor.

Part b requires you to find what Q has to be - so you only need the potential in general for part a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted