How Do You Calculate Electrostatic Potential Outside a Sphere?

In summary, the person is working on parts (a) and (b) of section ii) of a homework problem involving calculating potential using the equation V=(q/4∏ε)*(1/r). They found part (i) easy but are struggling with determining the potential outside of a sphere in part (a) and finding the value of Q in part (b). They mention the method of images and using a single charge instead of distributed charges on a conductor. Part (b) only requires finding the potential in general.
PedroB

Homework Statement

I'm currently tackling parts (a) and (b) of section ii) decribed here:http://puu.sh/31KIZ.png

Homework Equations

V=(q/4∏ε)*(1/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

From the first section (i) calculating the potential was relatively straight forward since we were only considering a plane. In part (a) however it just asks me for the potential outside the sphere, and I'm unsure how to calculate this since I can't seem to figure out how to determine the potential at any single point due to either charge (especially since I can't work out the distance between them). Though section (b) also seems puzzling to me, I'm guessing that solving part (a) will aid me in figuring it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
... you already know an equation for the potential due to a point charge don't you?
The point of the method of images is to replace the distributed charges on the conductor with a single charge and no conductor.

Part b requires you to find what Q has to be - so you only need the potential in general for part a.

FAQ: How Do You Calculate Electrostatic Potential Outside a Sphere?

1. What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential refers to the amount of potential energy that a charged particle has at a specific point in an electric field. It is a measure of the work required to move a unit charge from a reference point to that specific point.

2. How is electrostatic potential calculated?

Electrostatic potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge of the particle. This can be represented by the formula V = U/q, where V is the electrostatic potential, U is the electric potential energy, and q is the charge of the particle.

3. What is the difference between electrostatic potential and electric potential energy?

Electrostatic potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the total potential energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field.

4. What are some common applications of electrostatic potential problems?

Electrostatic potential problems have various applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits, the functioning of electronic devices, and the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators. They also play a significant role in understanding the atomic structure and interactions between atoms and molecules.

5. How can electrostatic potential problems be solved?

Electrostatic potential problems can be solved using mathematical equations and principles, such as Coulomb's law and the superposition principle. These problems often involve calculating the electrostatic potential at a specific point in an electric field due to one or more charges, and then using this information to determine the behavior of charged particles in the given system.

Back