Electrostatics - Magnitude and direction of electric force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Inertialforce
Messages
67
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


What are the magnitude and direction of the electric force on the +2.0x10^-6 charge shown in the diagram (included in the attachment)?


Homework Equations


F = kq1q2/r^2


The Attempt at a Solution


I used the Ep = kq1q2/r^2 equation and plugged in the numbers but didn't get any of the provided answers and I was just wondering what I was doing wrong?

What I did was:
F= kq1q2/r^2
F= (9.00x10^9)l(-6.0x10^-6)(-7.0x10^-6)l/(4.0)^2 [note: l l here means absolute value]
F= 0.23625

the answer I got was that, but it matches up with none of the provided answers?
 
Attachments
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


Inertialforce said:
What I did was:
F= kq1q2/r^2
F= (9.00x10^9)l(-6.0x10^-6)(-7.0x10^-6)l/(4.0)^2 [note: l l here means absolute value]
F= 0.23625
:confused: Not sure what you did here, since you were asked to find the force on the +2.0x10^-6 charge (the middle charge).

What force does the left charge exert on the middle charge?
What force does the right charge exert on the middle charge?

What's the net force on the middle charge?