Electroweak Breaking MSSM- D-term pot. question

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electroweak
In summary, the conversation discusses the scalar potential from the D-term of the Higgs sector, specifically equation (8.14b). The question arises about the absence of the field ξ in the Fayet-Iliopoulos model, and whether it can be set to zero. Further clarification is sought regarding the different representations of the D-term potential in the attachment provided. A second question is raised about the chiral Higgs scalar fields and the V vector sfield in the equation S^{\dagger} e^{V} S=S^{\dagger} e^{\frac{1}{2}g_{2}T^{a}V^{a}-2i \theta \sigma^{\mu} \bar{\theta}
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Looking at the attachment, I see that the scalar potential coming from the D-term of the Higgs sector is given as shown in (8.14b).
However shouldn't there also be a field ξ as in Fayet-Iliopoulos model?
[itex] V_{D}= \frac{1}{2} |ξ+ g \phi^{*} \phi|^{2}[/itex]
Is there a reason I don't see, that allows us to set ξ=0?
Also here:
http://staff.science.uva.nl/~jdeboer/education/projects/projects/mscthesis.pdf
page 34 as you scroll down, equation 1.4.12 (or even under 1.4.10) the D term for the potential are given differently...

Also a second question, the chiral Higgs scalar sfields as denoted in the attachment... what happens to the [itex]V[/itex] vector sfield in [itex] S^{\dagger} e^{V} S=S^{\dagger} e^{\frac{1}{2}g_{2}T^{a}V^{a}-2i \theta \sigma^{\mu} \bar{\theta} \partial_{\mu}} S |_{Left}[/itex]?

(the attachment is from Howard Baer, Xerxes Tata- Weak scale Supersymmetry (2006), chapter 8.2)

Attachments

• LatEx.jpg
    LatEx.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is Electroweak Breaking in the MSSM?

Electroweak Breaking refers to the process by which the electroweak symmetry in the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (MSSM) is broken. This is necessary in order to generate mass for the fundamental particles in the model, such as the W and Z bosons and the fermions.

2. What is the D-term potential in the MSSM?

The D-term potential is a term in the MSSM Lagrangian that arises from the gauge symmetry of the model. It is responsible for breaking the electroweak symmetry and giving mass to the W and Z bosons.

3. How does the D-term potential contribute to Electroweak Breaking in the MSSM?

The D-term potential contributes to Electroweak Breaking by generating a non-zero vacuum expectation value for the Higgs field, which is responsible for breaking the electroweak symmetry. This results in the masses of the W and Z bosons and the fermions.

4. What is the role of supersymmetry in Electroweak Breaking in the MSSM?

Supersymmetry plays a crucial role in Electroweak Breaking in the MSSM by providing a natural solution to the hierarchy problem, i.e. why the Higgs boson is so much lighter than other particles in the model. It also ensures the cancellation of quadratic divergences in the Higgs mass correction, making the electroweak symmetry breaking stable.

5. Are there any experimental tests or evidence for Electroweak Breaking in the MSSM?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) that have confirmed the existence of the Higgs boson and its properties, which are consistent with the predictions of the MSSM. This provides strong evidence for the mechanism of Electroweak Breaking in the MSSM.