Can elementary particles truly be at rest in an E field?

In summary, particles in E fields are always in some type of motion and there is no such thing as truly being at rest. This concept has been thoroughly tested and even with precise experimental efforts, there will always be some uncertainty. Laser cooling has been successful in slowing down particles to very low energies, but even in the ground state, particles are never truly at rest due to the uncertainty principle. However, for practical purposes, the classical particle picture is accurate enough when considering resolutions of 14 nm or larger.
nmsurobert
I'm working on E fields and particles in E fields, and I was wondering if particles are ever truly accelerated from rest. I did some reading on how accelerators work and cathode tubes, but it seems that particles are always in some type of motion. Is this just a thing for introductory level physics. Similar to "frictionless surface" type problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
nmsurobert said:
... it seems that particles are always in some type of motion. ...
Motion is relative. They are at rest in some reference frame.

Likes dextercioby
nmsurobert said:
I'm working on E fields and particles in E fields, and I was wondering if particles are ever truly accelerated from rest. I did some reading on how accelerators work and cathode tubes, but it seems that particles are always in some type of motion. Is this just a thing for introductory level physics. Similar to "frictionless surface" type problems?

When something comes off with, say 2 eV of energy, and it is then accelerated to 10's, even 100's or 1000's of MeV, do you think that 2 eV initial energy has any significance when compared to making the approximation of it being initially "at rest"? Do you also consider the gravity from Alpha Centauri when calculating forces on a bridge?

Zz.

• Haha
Likes phinds
nmsurobert said:
I'm working on E fields and particles in E fields, and I was wondering if particles are ever truly accelerated from rest.
There's no such thing as truly at rest. A lot of time and expense has been spent over the centuries searching for physical evidence of the concept, and nothing has been found. Moreover, the consequences have been thoroughly worked out theoretically and have withstood very extensive experimental testing.

No matter how precise and how developed your experimental efforts become, there is always going to be some experimental uncertainty, so one might quibble that. But as @ZapperZ points out, that can easily be made negligible.

Only particles that have (rest)mass can be in rest.

With laser cooling, atoms were slowed down to the energy of the order of 20 neV!

Likes vanhees71
Henryk said:
With laser cooling, atoms were slowed down to the energy of the order of 20 neV!
But only in a particular reference frame.

awesome. thank you guys. sometime I have these random questions and its hard to find answers to them.

sophiecentaur said:
But only in a particular reference frame.
It's a thermal energy, it is in the center of mass frame of the gas.

Henryk said:
However you should note that "elementary particles" cannot be described as classical point particles anymore, because you need quantum theory, and being "at rest" is impossible due to the Heisenberg uncertatinty relation ##\Delta x \Delta p_x \geq \hbar/2##. If the atom is in an energy eigenstate in the trap neither position nor momentum are determined and their probability distribution obey for sure the uncertainty relation. Even in the ground state the particles are never at rest!

Likes sophiecentaur
vanhees71 said:
However you should note that "elementary particles" cannot be described as classical point particles anymore, because you need quantum theory, and being "at rest" is impossible due to the Heisenberg uncertatinty relation ΔxΔpx≥ℏ/2ΔxΔpx≥ℏ/2\Delta x \Delta p_x \geq \hbar/2. If the atom is in an energy eigenstate in the trap neither position nor momentum are determined and their probability distribution obey for sure the uncertainty relation
Let's get some numbers, shall we?. Take, for example, cesium atoms, atomic mass 133 = ##2.2085^{-27}## kg. At the energy of 20 neV = ##3.2 \cdot 10^{-27}##. Substitute that into ##p^2 = 2 E \cdot m## and we get ##p^2 = 1.413^{-53}##.
Now, in the laser cooling experiment, the atoms are confined, that means the average momentum is zero. Therefore, ##<\Delta p^2> = p^2##. I.e. ##\Delta p = 3.76^{-27}## That allows us to calculate ## \Delta x = \frac 12 \hbar / \Delta p ##. Plug in the numbers and you get something like 14 nm!. Now, that is a billion times smaller than the space in which the atoms are confined in laser cooling experiments.
Yeah, THEORETICALLY no particle is at rest, but PRACTICALLY, a particle in a space that you can see with your eyes can have energy very close to rest.

Likes vanhees71
Sure, at some point the classical approximation gets right. It's a question of accuracy needed to describe the situation. In your case a resolution of 14 nm is enough, and the classical particle picture accurate enough.

1. What are elementary particles at rest?

Elementary particles at rest are subatomic particles that have no kinetic energy and are not in motion. They are the building blocks of matter and cannot be broken down into smaller particles.

2. How are elementary particles at rest different from other particles?

Unlike composite particles, which are made up of smaller particles, elementary particles are considered fundamental and cannot be broken down any further. They also have no internal structure, meaning they are not made up of smaller components.

3. What are some examples of elementary particles at rest?

Some examples of elementary particles at rest include electrons, protons, and neutrons. These particles make up atoms and are responsible for the properties and behavior of matter.

4. How do scientists study elementary particles at rest?

Scientists use particle accelerators and detectors to study elementary particles at rest. These tools allow them to observe and measure the behavior and interactions of these particles in controlled environments.

5. What is the significance of studying elementary particles at rest?

Studying elementary particles at rest helps scientists understand the fundamental nature of matter and the universe. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and treatments for diseases.