EM radiation creation within stars

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of EM radiation and the involvement of charged particles, specifically in the hydrogen fusion process within a star. The question is asked about how these charges create the same broken kinks/packages of EM energy seen in the dipole antenna video and whether the emission of a positron plays a role in this process. The conversation also touches on the difference between classical and quantum approaches to EM waves and the importance of understanding both theories in order to fully grasp this topic. Resources for learning about Quantum Electrodynamics are also mentioned.
NeilHa201
TL;DR Summary
Which charged particles are involved in the creation of broken EM fields lines and associated photon creation?\
Having had a look at the following video of the dipole antenna and the creation of EM radiation, which I completely understand, I had a look at the link http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Astro/procyc.html#c1 and the hydrogen fusion process within a star. Looking at the process how do the charges associated with the various particles create the same broken kinks / packages of EM energy field as seen in the dipole antenna video? For the kinks to break I assume that a positive and negative charge need to combine/ cross one another and that this cannot happen with EM field lines between the same charge particles i.e. the photon to photon in fusion. Is it the emission of the positron that joins and annihilates the electron thus seeing the use of mass in the creation of energy that creates the photon of EM radiation?

Am I correct in stating that these packets of EM radiation shown in the video are indeed photons, and that this is where the awareness that light and all EM radiation shows both particle and wave form characteristics?

Physics news on Phys.org
NeilHa201 said:
Summary:: Which charged particles are involved in the creation of broken EM fields lines and associated photon creation?\

the creation of EM radiation, which I completely understand
Hi and welcome to PF. I would suggest that you may not, in fact, be in a position of complete understanding this topic. Some of what you have read may sound 'reasonable' to you but that's another thing. Sometimes I worry about the reliance on animations which can easily be misinterpreted if the written or spoken description is not clear enough.
The answers to your question involves the difference between a classical approach to EM Waves and the Quantum approach which involves Photons. You have chosen two extremes of Energy for your question. The Photons of Gamma Rays have the highest energy (Nuclear reactions in stars etc) that we have ever measured and the photons in radio frequency waves are so very low energy that we seldom consider them as we can't conveniently treat them as individual quanta. EM is all the same stuff, of course because it follows all the same 'Laws'.
Before you try to reconcile the apparent differences between the two frequencies of EM waves, you need to get a deeper understanding of the two. Quantum Mechanics (replaced, these days by Quantum Electrodynamics) takes a lot of getting hold of and almost none of it is at all intuitive. Classical EM theory is a bit more intuitive, perhaps, but there's a lot of Maths involved if you want to be able to make your own predictions about any EM situation.
NeilHa201 said:
Summary:: Which charged particles are involved in the creation of broken EM fields lines and associated photon creation?\

Am I correct in stating that these packets of EM radiation shown in the video are indeed photons, and that this is where the awareness that light and all EM radiation shows both particle and wave form characteristics?
You are not correct. The video shows a very simplified classical explanation of a totally classical process. Those 'bubble -looking' things are not representing photons at all; it's not suggested that it's a Quantum phenomenon and it's dangerous to try to form your own conclusions about that. If you look carefully you will see that the lines do not 'break' they are just a graphical depiction of the maxima or minima of the waves. Where the wave energy starts to be propagated away, there are two possible directions in which the wave max can travel - that's all. You can get very similar patterns in ocean waves, around an obstacle.

Just keep reading around and you can add to your understanding - this is hard stuff. :smile:

Right okay I'll look into that more when I have time, thankyou for the response. Do you have any pointers to where I can find educational information relating to Quantum Electrodynamics?

What is electromagnetic (EM) radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that is emitted and absorbed by charged particles, such as electrons and protons. It travels through space at the speed of light and can have a range of wavelengths and frequencies, which determine its properties and effects.

How is EM radiation created within stars?

EM radiation is created within stars through the process of nuclear fusion, where hydrogen atoms combine to form helium. This fusion reaction releases a tremendous amount of energy, including EM radiation, which is then emitted from the star's surface into space.

What types of EM radiation are created within stars?

Stars create a wide range of EM radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared light, visible light, ultraviolet light, X-rays, and gamma rays. The type and amount of radiation emitted depend on the temperature and composition of the star.

How does the creation of EM radiation within stars affect their lifespan?

The creation of EM radiation within stars is a crucial process that helps regulate their internal temperature and pressure. As a star burns through its fuel and creates more EM radiation, it also expands and cools. This process can significantly affect a star's lifespan, as it determines how long it can sustain nuclear fusion and remain stable.

Can EM radiation from stars be harmful to humans?

Most of the EM radiation created within stars is filtered out by Earth's atmosphere and poses no harm to humans. However, certain types of radiation, such as X-rays and gamma rays, can be harmful in high doses. Luckily, these types of radiation are typically absorbed or scattered by Earth's atmosphere before reaching the surface.