Embry Riddle, or UNT for graduate studies?

In summary, pursuing a master's degree in Aerospace Engineering from a reputable school, such as Embry Riddle or UNT, and gaining relevant experience and skills through internships and research projects will greatly increase your chances of securing a position in the space-related or aerospace field within the military or government.
Adoniram
I'll be finishing a BS in Physics at UNT (University of North Texas) and am considering a master's program. My objective is to land a science/engineering position as a civilian working for the military/government in some kind of space-related or aerospace program. I have friends who work at Edwards as civilian scientists testing systems on the F-16. That would be fine with me, or something directly with NASA/DARPA would be even better.

So, my main concern is which school is more highly regarded by governmental employers. A degree from Embry Riddle would be "Master of Aeronautical Science" whereas UNT would simply be Physics, and I could hopefully emphasize research I've done.

Options please? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The best option for you would be to pursue a master's degree in Aerospace Engineering. This will likely give you the best chance of securing a position as a civilian scientist in the military or government. Additionally, this degree will allow you to emphasize your research experience and make you more attractive to potential employers. Depending on your interests, you may also want to consider a degree in Space Systems Engineering or Space Science. Both Embry Riddle and UNT have reputable aerospace engineering programs that have been ranked very highly by US News & World Report. Embry Riddle's program is especially strong, with the university ranking among the top 20 engineering schools in the US overall. It has also been recognized for its commitment to developing technology for the defense industry, making it an ideal choice for those seeking to work in the military or government. No matter which school you choose, you should also consider taking courses that will increase your knowledge in areas such as system dynamics, controls, and computational fluid dynamics, as these are all important topics for space-related and aerospace programs. Additionally, internships and research experiences can help you gain the necessary skills and contacts to make yourself an even more attractive job candidate.

1. What are the admission requirements for graduate studies at Embry Riddle or UNT?

Both Embry Riddle and UNT have specific admission requirements for their graduate programs. These typically include a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, minimum GPA requirements, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Each program may have additional requirements, so it is important to check with the specific department for more information.

2. What types of graduate programs are offered at Embry Riddle and UNT?

Both universities offer a wide range of graduate programs in various fields, including engineering, business, education, and more. Embry Riddle specializes in aviation and aerospace-related programs, while UNT has a larger variety of programs in areas such as arts and sciences, health sciences, and music.

3. What is the cost of tuition for graduate studies at Embry Riddle or UNT?

Tuition for graduate studies at both universities varies depending on the program and residency status. Generally, Embry Riddle has a higher tuition rate due to its specialized programs. UNT offers in-state tuition rates for Texas residents, while out-of-state students may have higher tuition costs.

4. Are there opportunities for financial aid or scholarships for graduate students at Embry Riddle or UNT?

Both universities offer various options for financial aid, including grants, loans, and work-study programs. They also have scholarship opportunities specifically for graduate students, which may be based on academic merit, financial need, or other criteria. It is recommended to research and apply for these options as early as possible.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree while working full-time at Embry Riddle or UNT?

Both universities understand that many students may have work or other obligations while pursuing a graduate degree. As such, they offer flexible options such as part-time programs, online courses, and evening classes. However, it is important to consider the time and commitment required for graduate studies and to ensure that it aligns with one's work schedule.