1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Emission of Infrared radiation

1. Jun 16, 2009 #1
    Question regarding the emission of infrared radiation, for personal knowledge.

Why do humans emit infrared radiation? Is it because it just so happens that the energy humans absorb (from sunlight)/ the energy humans produce just so happens to correlate to the frequency of infrared, as according to E = hf? Or am I wrong in my assumptions of where the source of the energy comes from?

Additionally, I read that many everyday objects, such as an ice cube or a textbook emit infrared. How can objects such as these, which have a much lower temperature than humans (which I assume correlate to lower energy) emit in the same frequency. Can this only be the case if infrared has a large spectrum, and thus can correlate to different amounts of energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF.
    All objects emit electromagnetic radiation in relation to their temperature via the mechanism of black body radiation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbody

So the source of that energy is our internal body heat, which we generate using food as fuel.
    Yes, "infrared" is a range of frequencies, not a specific frequency.

4. Jun 16, 2009 #3
    Thanks a lot. Is the energy we generate from food the sole source of energy? Or does other factors play a role, such as friction from movement or absorption of energy from the sun?

If all these factors are prevalent, how does one determine the energy of an object? For example, if I wanted to know what electromagnetic energy a fish emits, how would I calculate its energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook