Emission spectra and energy levels in atoms

In summary: For now, you can simply say that emission lines are unique to each element and are associated with specific energies.
trollcast
Gold Member
We're just been learning about emission and absorption spectra and how these relate to the energy levels of electrons in an atom but its brought up 2 questions.

1. In chemistry our notes say that the energy change between levels gets smaller as you move out from the nucleus, however in physics we were given an unnamed example where n=4 to n=3 was smaller than n=5 to n=4?

2. I know it says that each emission spectra is unique to that element but are there any similarities between groups or periods of elements?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
trollcast said:
We're just been learning about emission and absorption spectra and how these relate to the energy levels of electrons in an atom but its brought up 2 questions.

1. In chemistry our notes say that the energy change between levels gets smaller as you move out from the nucleus, however in physics we were given an unnamed example where n=4 to n=3 was smaller than n=5 to n=4?

2. I know it says that each emission spectra is unique to that element but are there any similarities between groups or periods of elements?

Thanks
Are you sure about this? Where is the diagram? Was it sketched or in a textbook?

sophiecentaur said:
Are you sure about this? Where is the diagram? Was it sketched or in a textbook?
Just found my notes and its one of the exam style question examples: (Sorry about the typed diagram but its the best I can do:

The lowest energy levels of a mercury atom are shown in the diagram below. The diagram is not to scale. (Energies in Jx10^-18)............ 0eV
------------------------------------------------------------------ -0.26 n = 4------------------------------------------------------------------ -0.59 n = 3

------------------------------------------------------------------ -0.88 n= 2------------------------------------------------------------------ -2.13 n=1 (ground state)

I got the numbers a bit mixed up in the OP.

Does that help?

trollcast said:

You can't assume that the "distance from the nucleus" always increases with n.

Distance really means "average distance." The electrons are not really located at definite distances from the nucleus. In the "classical physics approximation," the electrons are in elliptical orbits around the nucleus. In the "quantum mechanics theory", the position of the electrons are smeared out due to the "uncertainty principle."

The position of an electron in an energy level has both an "average", a "standard deviation", and many other statistical moments. Even though the energy of a level may be well determined, the position is not. There are also several types of averaging.

The "average distance" from the nucleus increases with n for the hydrogen atom. However, this will not always be true for other atoms. I suspect that the chemistry textbook is talking only about elements in column I of the periodic table.

For a neutral atom, the "energy" of a valence-electron tends to increase with "n+l". So if the "average distance" increases with "n+l", then the textbooks statement would be correct.

Note n=1,2,3,.. and l=0, 1, 2, 3, ... So one can have an decreasing "average distance"

I think that law which you are describing is far too ambiguous to be useful. Especially in chemistry. The distance from the electron to the nucleus is not something that can easily be measured in either chemistry or physics. I don't think there is any chemistry technique that can measure the distance from electron to nucleus.

I recommend shelving that statement for a while. It may be more important in a different context, which may come later.

trollcast said:

In column III, there are two boxes that each contain 15 elements. The elements in each box is called a series. One box is for the "lanthanide series" and one box is for the "actinide series". Some of the emission lines span parts of each series. Some elements in each series resemble each other in chemical and spectroscopic terms.

I have done a lot of work with the elements "terbium" and "europium". There is one emission line at a wavelength of 620 nm which belongs to both terbium and europium. There are other "coincidental" emission lines within the lanthanide series.

The reason each series has its own properties has to do with the filling up of the f-orbitals with electrons. Again, this concept may be something that is not of immediate concern.

for sharing your questions and observations about emission spectra and energy levels in atoms. These are important concepts in understanding the behavior of atoms and their interactions with light.

To address your first question, the energy change between levels does indeed decrease as you move further away from the nucleus. This is due to the fact that the energy levels in an atom are not evenly spaced, but rather become closer together as the distance from the nucleus increases. This is a consequence of the mathematical equations that describe the energy levels in an atom. So while it may seem that n=4 to n=3 is smaller than n=5 to n=4, the energy difference between n=5 and n=4 is actually smaller than that between n=4 and n=3.

Regarding your second question, while each element does have a unique emission spectrum, there are indeed similarities between groups and periods of elements. This is because the arrangement of electrons in an atom is determined by the periodic table, and elements in the same group or period have similar electron configurations. This leads to similar energy levels and therefore, similar emission spectra. However, there are also slight differences due to factors such as atomic size and nuclear charge.

Overall, emission spectra and energy levels in atoms are complex but fascinating topics that continue to be studied and refined by scientists. I hope this helps clarify some of your questions and encourages you to continue exploring this subject.

1. What is an emission spectrum?

An emission spectrum is a unique pattern of light emitted by an atom or molecule when it transitions from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. This pattern is specific to each element and can be used to identify the composition of a substance.

2. How do energy levels in atoms determine emission spectra?

The energy levels in an atom are determined by the arrangement and movement of its electrons. When an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it releases energy in the form of light. This energy corresponds to a specific wavelength, resulting in a specific spectral line in the emission spectrum.

3. What factors affect the emission spectrum of an atom?

The emission spectrum of an atom is affected by its atomic structure, specifically the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons. The type of element and its physical and chemical environment can also impact the emission spectrum.

4. How is an emission spectrum used in scientific research?

Emission spectra are used in a variety of scientific fields to identify the composition of substances and study the behavior of atoms and molecules. They are also used in astronomy to determine the composition of stars and galaxies.

5. Can emission spectra be used to determine the energy levels of an atom?

Yes, emission spectra can be used to determine the energy levels of an atom. The wavelengths of the spectral lines correspond to the energy differences between the levels. By analyzing the pattern of spectral lines, scientists can determine the precise energy levels of an atom.