Emphasizing the proportion

• I
  • Thread starter adan
  • Start date
Hi,
There are two variables x and y. I compute a proportion of the x as x/(x+y), and the proportion of y as y/(x+y). I want to emphasize more on the amount of x or y. If x is high then the proportion should be high.
Using the above formulas if x=4229, y= 80, then x proportion = 0.981, when x=4617 and y=91, then x proportion approximately equal 0.981.

I hope I made it clear and I would appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

Hi,
There are two variables x and y. I compute a proportion of the x as x/(x+y), and the proportion of y as y/(x+y). I want to emphasize more on the amount of x or y. If x is high then the proportion should be high.
Using the above formulas if x=4229, y= 80, then x proportion = 0.981, when x=4617 and y=91, then x proportion approximately equal 0.981.

I hope I made it clear and I would appreciate any suggestion.
Do you have a question?

The proportions are, more clearly, the proportion or ratio of x to the sum of x and y and the ratio of y to the sum of x and y. Whichever variable is larger will make for a higher proportion of that variable to the sum of the two variables.

If x is high then the proportion should be high.
At the same y, it is. If both x and y increase then the proportion of x doesn't have to increase. That's the point of taking the ratio. If you just want to compare absolute numbers, use the absolute numbers.

Thanks all. I think I would like to do something that can't be done using the ratio. The idea is to generate two values (P,N) between 0 and 1. If x is high P increases, and if y is high N increases. Where x and y >= 0.
I will try P=x/(1+x) and N = y/(1+y)