Employable with an EngPhys degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter nixnerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary: It really depends on the school. Some people might not take it very seriously, but most would not look down on you. It really depends on the school. Some people might not take it very seriously, but most would not look down on you.
nixnerd
Hello I am new here, but I have seen that there are many helpful intelligent people.

I really love physics and math. I figured I should be an engineer, but I want a very rigorous program because if I am not challenged intellectually, I get bored and lose interest. I want something to make me work very hard to understand concepts. I liked what I saw in the Engineering Physics program because it has more physics than the engineering degrees.

Will the employer see 'scientist' or 'engineer' when he looks at my schooling? Can I get engineering jobs right out of school with an undergrad in EngPhys? I like technology, so I thought I should take EE classes for electives.

Will I be considered an 'engineer' with a degree in engineering physics?

Thank you for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
My gf's sister just finished her Bachelour's in EngPhys and after about 6 months of searching she got a job for the provincial power company as an engineer.

nixnerd said:
Hello I am new here, but I have seen that there are many helpful intelligent people.

I really love physics and math. I figured I should be an engineer, but I want a very rigorous program because if I am not challenged intellectually, I get bored and lose interest. I want something to make me work very hard to understand concepts. I liked what I saw in the Engineering Physics program because it has more physics than the engineering degrees.

Will the employer see 'scientist' or 'engineer' when he looks at my schooling? Can I get engineering jobs right out of school with an undergrad in EngPhys? I like technology, so I thought I should take EE classes for electives.

Will I be considered an 'engineer' with a degree in engineering physics?

Thank you for reading!

You are certainly an engineer. At my uni those guys have a 100% job rate straight out of uni. Most of them land pretty nice jobs, say NASA (especially), Boeing and various contractors to NASA and such.

I hope you really do like being challenged as it is considered one of the toughest eng. fields out there.

But just an FYI, a masters would put you in a "golden" position in terms of employment, since now a days everyone and their brother has a BA, if you know what I mean.

Edit: the 100% success rate is for the few who make it.

djeitnstine said:
You are certainly an engineer. At my uni those guys have a 100% job rate straight out of uni. Most of them land pretty nice jobs, say NASA (especially), Boeing and various contractors to NASA and such.

I hope you really do like being challenged as it is considered one of the toughest eng. fields out there.

But just an FYI, a masters would put you in a "golden" position in terms of employment, since now a days everyone and their brother has a BA, if you know what I mean.

Edit: the 100% success rate is for the few who make it.

I am glad to hear that.

How are online graduate degree programs viewed? Let's say I wanted to get an MSc in EE through an online program after getting my BSc in Engineering Physics; would it be looked down upon since it is not from a school like U of I Urbana or CalTech, etc? The reason I ask is that I will not have the option to just up and move somewhere for graduate school. I have a family and we are established here. I will need to either get my graduate degree from the same uni as my undergrad, which I hear is not good, or use an online masters program.

Thanks again!

Related to Employable with an EngPhys degree?

1. What career options are available with an EngPhys degree?

With an EngPhys degree, you can pursue a variety of career paths in industries such as aerospace, energy, manufacturing, and technology. Some common job titles for EngPhys graduates include engineer, research scientist, data analyst, and project manager.

2. How does an EngPhys degree differ from a traditional engineering degree?

An EngPhys degree combines the fundamentals of physics with the principles of engineering. This interdisciplinary approach allows students to develop a strong foundation in both fields and apply their knowledge to real-world problems. Additionally, EngPhys programs often have a greater emphasis on hands-on laboratory experience and research opportunities.

3. Can I pursue a graduate degree in engineering with an EngPhys degree?

Yes, many universities offer graduate programs specifically for EngPhys graduates. These programs typically focus on advanced research and specialized topics within the field of engineering. With an EngPhys degree, you will have a strong foundation to pursue a graduate degree in various engineering disciplines.

4. What skills will I develop with an EngPhys degree that will make me employable?

An EngPhys degree provides students with a diverse set of skills that are highly sought after by employers. These include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and technical proficiency. You will also gain strong communication and teamwork skills through group projects and presentations.

5. Are there any specific industries or companies that prefer to hire EngPhys graduates?

EngPhys graduates are highly sought after by a wide range of industries, including technology, aerospace, renewable energy, and biotechnology. Some companies specifically seek out EngPhys graduates for their interdisciplinary background and strong problem-solving skills. However, with the versatility of an EngPhys degree, you can pursue opportunities in any industry that interests you.