Employment Rate in Physics and Suggestions for a Physics Career

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 6K views
rdgarza
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi people!

I am 23 years old and I graduate form BS in Electronic Systems Engineering but I love physics and I am interested in chaos, nonlinear dynamics and statistical mechanics, right know I am in BS in Physics and I am planning to get an MSc in Physics and a PhD in Physics because I want to get a job as a researcher in the future.

Which areas of physics have the best employment rates?

Which area of physics can you suggest me with my background?

Thank you and sorry for my English.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The area of physics that probably has the highest employment rate historically is Solid State Physics, but it also has highest rate of new PhD's by what I hear. Check out the job statistics on the APS website for more info.

Since I am still an undergrad myself, I can't really say what field would be best for you since I still haven't been exposed to all of them myself. Also, you should probably mention whether you are interested in experimental or theoretical physics also, since this will help those who can give more detailed information. Good Luck in your future endeavors.:smile:
 
I am interested more in theoretical physics more than experimental physics
 
Solid-state/condensed-matter physics is not restricted to experimental work--there is plenty of theory to be developed.
 
I have another question, am I too old to begin with all this?
 
Not at all--Queen guitarist Brian May just completed his doctorate in astrophysics, 36 years after he started it.
 
rdgarza said:
I have another question, am I too old to begin with all this?

Too old at *23*?!? What the hell is wrong with you?
 
las3rjock said:
Solid-state/condensed-matter physics is not restricted to experimental work--there is plenty of theory to be developed.

but what is the employment rate for those with phD's in solid-state or condensed matter theory?