End correction of the pipe mouth(standing wave)

In summary: In free air, the speed of sound is the same in all directions. However, in a tube, the speed of sound is different in different directions.
EHT
Consider a pipe closed at one end and open at the other.a simple model tells that resonance will occurs when the sound wavelength of the resonator is 1/4,3/4,5/4.. of pipe length,by assumption that antinode occurs at the open end.But it comes out that the air at open end isn't completely "free"(the pipe wall makes it can't expand freely) so it's not a perfect antinode .We have to apply an end correction, the pipe appears to be acoustically somewhat longer than its physical length.I'm searching for a model that can be use to find this end correction and I've trouble doing the experiment because of the non uniform ity of speed of sound due to viscosity.Do anyone knows the model to compute this correction?

sorry,my english is bad

Physics news on Phys.org
If my memory serves me correctly the end correction is equal to 0.6 times the pipes radius.Try googling waves in pipes.Good luck.

Yes Dadface was correct. The end correction, c, is 0.6r where r is the pipe radius.

Note:
In your post you say
"when the sound wavelength of the resonator is 1/4,3/4,5/4.. of pipe length,"

It is the pipe length (plus end correction) that is 1/4, 3/4 etc of the sound wavelength.

@stonebridge:yeah there I'm explaining standing wave without correction in basic physics textbook so I put the wrong one.I've read about that 0.6 r rayleigh's correction,but what i want to know is where does it come from.how do we calculate that 0.6r?

thanks

Likes Aman Poddar
I've never seen an analytical derivation of this and have always assumed it to be an experimentally determined value. I checked in some of my books and it seems the most accurate value is 0.58r (It is independent of the wavelength but does depend on the shape of the tube. Value quoted is for circular cross section)
Normally in these experiments, you eliminate (and can calculate) the end correction by finding two consecutive resonating lengths L1 and L2 at the same frequency, for example the two cases where the L1+c is 1/4 wavelength and L2+c is 3/4 wavelength.
Subtracting gives L2 - L1 = half wavelength.

These experiments, of course, calculate the speed of sound in the tube. It must be remembered that, this is not the same as the speed in free air.

1. What is end correction of the pipe mouth in standing waves?

End correction of the pipe mouth is the phenomenon where the actual length of a pipe is longer than its physical length due to the presence of sound waves at the open end. This is due to the fact that sound waves do not reflect perfectly at the open end, causing a small displacement of the standing wave pattern.

2. How does end correction affect the resonant frequency of a pipe?

The end correction of a pipe affects its resonant frequency by increasing the effective length of the pipe. This means that the resonant frequency of a pipe with end correction will be slightly lower than that of a pipe with no end correction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of end correction?

The magnitude of end correction is affected by the diameter of the pipe, the type of material the pipe is made of, and the shape of the mouth of the pipe. Generally, smaller diameter pipes and pipes with a flared or tapered mouth have a larger end correction.

4. How is end correction calculated?

End correction can be calculated by subtracting the physical length of the pipe from its effective length. The effective length can be determined by measuring the distance from the open end of the pipe to the point where the standing wave pattern crosses the axis of the pipe.

5. Why is it important to consider end correction in standing wave experiments?

End correction is important to consider in standing wave experiments because it affects the accuracy of the calculated resonant frequency of the pipe. Ignoring end correction can result in a significant error in the final results, especially for smaller diameter pipes.