Momentum of Skiers in a Completely Inelastic Collision

In summary: I am not here to get a rating... I am here to help people like you who are struggling with physics !In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a movie stunt where a 65 kg skier starts from a rest position at the top of a 30 m high hill and collides with a 45 kg stationary skier at the bottom. The collision is completely inelastic and the goal is to find the final velocity of the skiers. The conversation covers using equations for potential energy and kinetic energy to calculate the velocity of the 65 kg skier, and then using momentum to find the final velocity of both skiers after the collision.
HarleyM

Homework Statement

In a movie stunt, a 65 kg skier starts from a rest position at the top of a hill 30m high. She slides down the hill to the bottom, where she collides with a 45 kg stationary skier. The collision is completely inelastic. Find the final velocity of the skiers.

Homework Equations

M1V1 +M2V2= (M1+M2)V
ET'=ET'
ET'=(M1+m2)gh ( ithink this is relevant?)

The Attempt at a Solution

ET'= (65+45)(9.8)(30)
ET'= 32,340

32,340= 1/2mv2

Sq RT[(32,340)(2)/(65)] = velocity of skier going down hill?

=31.5 m/s (100 km/h + seems kinda fast for a skier)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to first find the speed of the 65kg skier from their starting height. You can then calculate momentum and go from there.
If the collision is completely inelastic then ONLY momentum is conserved in the collision.

How would I calculate the velocity of the skier? This is where I am confused.. Thats why I used the ET' calculation..

I know you don't want to give me the answer.. but any hints would be immensely appreciated.. I mean I know the mass and height of the skier, no idea how to calculate their velocity though..

thanks for your time and response!

the skier gains KE as a result of 'falling' a distance of 30m.
You need to use PE = KE to calculate the speed of the 65kg skier.
Then it is a 'straight forward' momentum before = momentum after calculation.
Have a go and if you get stuck let me know where it goes wrong.

Last edited:
technician said:
the skier gains KE as a result of 'falling' a distance of 30m.
You need to use PE = KE to calculate the speed of the 65kg skier.
Then it is a 'straight forward' momentum before = momentum after calculation.
Have a go and if you get stuck let me know where it goes wrong.

THANKS again!

So PE=KE
mgh=1/2mv2
√(2)(9.8)(30)= V
V= 24.25 m/s

Ek = 1/2mv2
=1/2(65)(24.3)2
=19,190.9 J (initial energy) ( don't think I have to do this)

PT=PT'

M1V1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V'
(65)(24.3)+(45)(0)=(110)V'
V'=(65*24.3)/(110)
V'=14.36 m/s

Ek= 1/2(M1+M2)V'2
=1/2(110)(14.36)2
=11 341.53

how does the final velocity of both look? As that's what I am most concerned about.

Again thank you so much for your help!

That's it... you did not need to calculate KE in the question but well done.

Thank you so much ! Is there a rating system at PF?

Don't know !... not bothered...

1. What is momentum in a completely inelastic collision?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. In a completely inelastic collision between two skiers, momentum is conserved - meaning the total momentum before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is momentum calculated in a completely inelastic collision?

In a completely inelastic collision, momentum can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity. This formula is represented as p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. How is the momentum of skiers affected in a completely inelastic collision?

In a completely inelastic collision between two skiers, the momentum of both skiers is affected. The skiers will stick together after the collision and move with a common velocity, resulting in a decrease in the total momentum of the system.

4. What factors affect the momentum of skiers in a completely inelastic collision?

The momentum of skiers in a completely inelastic collision can be affected by the mass and velocity of each skier, as well as the angle and direction of their collision. Additionally, external factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the momentum of the skiers.

5. Is momentum conserved in all types of collisions?

No, momentum is not always conserved in all types of collisions. In a completely inelastic collision, the objects stick together and move with a common velocity, resulting in a decrease in total momentum. In an elastic collision, however, the objects bounce off each other and momentum is conserved.