Energy, charge and electric field

In summary: The particles are flying away from each other because they have a large kinetic energy, and because they are attracted to each other.
GAURAV DADWAL
Hi there,

Im familiar with the concept that electric field has associated energy with it
Now if in space an electron apppeared at some instant t=0 then electric field will not be established instantaneously but will propagate at speed of light through space
As electric field is bieng established energy associated with it is changing with time
Now what is causing that change in energy although there is no change in charge placed there and no other interaction are seeming to be there to cause change in energy .pls help me understand this .
Any help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that you created an unphysical scenario (if I understand it correctly, your wording is very confusing). Charges don't just appear magically in place, they need to be transported in from somewhere else. That is, your scenario directly violates the conservation of energy, but your question is exactly about that aspect, the total energy.

In high school we are taught about decay of neutron into proton and electron with antineutrino .
I have just passed high school so i am not having enough knowledge but still i think that in this process proton and electon are generated instantaneously in the space which initially was having no charge particles and also i think these are not generated at same place .
So i think my question makes some sense

While particles can indeed be created out of energy, the total sum of charge however is conserved, just like energy:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_conservation

So, you can't just create an electron from energy, there *has* to be a positive charged particle created at the same time to keep the total sum the same.

, there *has* to be a positive charged particle created at the same time to keep the total sum the same.[/QUOTE]

Is that positively charged particle has to be formed at the same position as that of electron?

Yes.

I didn't get that ??
How can electon and proton be at same position at same time

They are only in the same spot for an infinitesimal small amount of time, since they are flying away from each other. Look into how particle accelerators work, that's really the same principle.

Also, IIRC you can't create an electron and a proton on their own. I believe the latter would have to be a positron (i.e. an anti-electron)

Why are they flying apart as attractive force between them will be infinite when they are at same position

When it comes to these things, you can't look at it from a classical, static point of view. This is quantum mechanics, where particles aren't exactly in one spot but rather exist in a cloud of probability, and they also often have a large kinetic energy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_production

Likes Zaya Bell
GAURAV DADWAL said:
How can electon and proton be at same position at same time

It's the same principle with how particle accelerators work :wink:

Last edited:

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause a change. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is often described as the "currency" of the universe. It can exist in many forms, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, electrical, and more.

2. How is energy related to charge?

Energy and charge are closely related in the field of electromagnetism. Electric charges create electric fields, and these fields can exert forces on other charges, resulting in the transfer of energy. Similarly, when a charged particle moves through an electric field, it can gain or lose energy depending on its direction of motion.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around an electrically charged particle or object where an electric force can be felt. It can be thought of as invisible lines of force that emanate from a charged object and can influence the motion of other charges within its vicinity.

4. How is electric field strength measured?

Electric field strength, also known as electric field intensity, is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This unit describes the strength of the electric field at a specific point in space and is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a unit charge by the magnitude of the charge.

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. It is measured in units of volts (V). Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is measured in joules (J) and is the product of the charge of the object, the electric potential, and the distance between the two points.