Where does potential energy go when exposed to acid?

In summary, the conversation discusses three different cases where potential energy is lost: when an iron spring is put in acid, when a magnet inside a glass vessel is melted by acid, and when a charged capacitor is destroyed by acid or furnace. In all cases, the potential energy is converted into heat energy, causing a rise in temperature. From a microscopic point of view, the breakdown of the materials in the acid leads to the release of energy. Additionally, in the case of the charged capacitor, the act of pulling apart the plates requires additional energy, resulting in a higher increase in temperature than the theoretical calculation.
suhagsindur
Case:1 I have one iron spring. I compress it gives potential energy E= ½* K*x2 & bind it by glass wire which is not melted in acid. Now I put this spring in acid & it melted completely, So where the potential energy gone?

Case:2 I put one magnet in glass vessel & hold it in vessel by some mechanical means. I put another magnet outside of vessel in such a way that there is a repulsive force between them & so both magnet possesses potential energy w.r.t. each other. Now I pour acid in vessel & magnet inside vessel is melted, So where the potential energy gone?

Case:3 I charge capacitor & break it. Both the charged plate taking outside carefully so it not get discharged. Previously the energy which is in the dielectric media, now where is that energy? If I destroy both the plate of capacitor by throwing it into acid OR furnace, How the energy will conserve which I have given to charge the capacitor?
Please for giving answer take suitable acid & material.
Please give explanation from microscopic point of view also, so I can understand better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Final temperatures of solutions should differ.

Case 3: was it easy to pull the plate apart?

Note: metal doesn't melt in acid, it dissolves.

Last edited by a moderator:
suhagsindur said:
Case:1 I have one iron spring. I compress it gives potential energy E= ½* K*x2 & bind it by glass wire which is not melted in acid. Now I put this spring in acid & it melted completely, So where the potential energy gone?
Borek is correct theoretically, but from a practical standpoint you will get stress corrosion cracking which will break the spring and mechanically release the remaining potential energy long before it dissolves.

DaleSpam said:
break the spring and mechanically release the remaining potential energy

Heating the solution :tongue2:

Borek said:
Final temperatures of solutions should differ.

Case 3: was it easy to pull the plate apart?

Note: metal doesn't melt in acid, it dissolves.

If I make leyden jar apparatus in which outside metal plate is there & inside water or metal plate & then charge this jar. Now it is easy to pull apart both the charged media with some care.

Hello, Borek, Dalespam.
Thank you for giving reply.

suhagsindur said:
If I make leyden jar apparatus in which outside metal plate is there & inside water or metal plate & then charge this jar. Now it is easy to pull apart both the charged media with some care.

You have missed the point. You need to apply some force to pull apart charged plate, don't you? It is not different from pulling apart two charges.

OK, it required force to pull apart & this additional energy which I give plate to pull apart is giving higher increase in temperature then theoretical calculation in which I only take electrical energy for calculation of rise in temp.
thank you.

What is acid?

Acid is a chemical substance that has a pH level lower than 7 and can donate protons or accept electrons in a chemical reaction.

Why is energy conservation important in acid?

Energy conservation is important in acid because acid reactions can release large amounts of energy, which can be harmful to the environment and human health if not properly controlled.

How can energy be conserved in acid?

Energy conservation in acid can be achieved by using energy-efficient processes, such as reducing the amount of acid used in reactions, optimizing reaction conditions, and recycling waste heat.

What are the benefits of energy conservation in acid?

The benefits of energy conservation in acid include reducing environmental impacts, improving safety, and reducing costs for industries that use acid in their processes.

What are some examples of energy conservation in acid?

Examples of energy conservation in acid include using more efficient equipment, such as heat exchangers and energy recovery systems, and implementing process control strategies to minimize energy consumption.