Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy consumed by variable drag force when stopping?

1. Jul 14, 2015 #1
    I was trying to roughly calculate the energy that could be recovered by regenerative breaking when bringing a vehicle to a stop, so I calculated to total kinetic energy and then tried to calculate the work done by air resistance that would take away from the energy that could be captured. So I calculated the drag force equation as F = 2.826 x v^2. Therefore, work would equal the the Integral of (2.826 x v^2)dx. But, this can't be integrated, as velocity is a separate variable than distance.

I'm not sure how to get around this to get the work calculation, but any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2015 #2
    You need to express velocity as a function of position.

Alternatively, you can express velocity as a function of time and rewrite the integral in terms of time.

4. Jul 14, 2015 #3
    That is, you need to get the relation between ##F## and ##x## from ##f=2.826v^2## first, or ##m\frac{dv}{dt}=2.826v^2.##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook