1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy deposited by high energy electrons in matter

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    Hello all,
    i am trying to calculate the energy deposited by high energy electrons travelling through Silicon. I am dealing with energies in the range of 10^6 - 10^12 eV. I have read that radiative losses will dominate at higher energies and the critical energy where ionization loss = radiative loss is ~ 40 MeV for silicon. Can someone please direct me to the equations i can use to calculate both ionization and radiative losses for high energy electrons? Thanks.

Rich.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2
  4. Mar 21, 2010 #3
    Thanks Bob,
    I have read that dE/dX from radiative energy losses for electrons can be approximated as E/Xo, where E is the energy of the electron and Xo is the radiation length in the material. Is this approximation valid at very high energies? i.e. 10^7 MeV - 10^10 MeV.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook