Energy dissipated by a loop of muscle in an MRI machine

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kostoglotov
Messages
231
Reaction score
6
edit: turned out to be a calculator typo...mods feel free to delete this thread if you wish, I won't complain.

Homework Statement


[/B]
Having issues with part a)

4hzLyhb.jpg


imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/4hzLyhb.jpg

Homework Equations



Resistivity of muscle (from table in text): [tex]\rho \approx 13[/tex]

Large Diameter, Small Diameter: [tex]D = 0.080m \ \ \ d = 0.010m[/tex]

Energy dissipated: [tex]Q = P \Delta t[/tex]
Power: [tex]P = \frac{V^2}{R}[/tex]
EMF: [tex]V = \varepsilon = \left|\frac{\Delta \Phi}{\Delta t}\right|[/tex]

Change in Flux: [tex]\left|\frac{\Delta \Phi}{\Delta t}\right| = \left|\frac{\Delta B}{\Delta t}\right| A_{eff}[/tex]

Effective Area (assume [itex]\theta = 0[/itex]): [tex]A_{eff} = A \cos{\theta} = A = \pi \left(\frac{D}{2}\right)^2[/tex]
Resistance: [tex]R = \frac{\rho L}{A} = \frac{\rho \pi D}{\pi \left(\frac{d}{2}\right)^2} = \frac{\rho D}{ \left(\frac{d}{2}\right)^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



So, energy expression: [tex]Q = P \Delta t = \frac{\varepsilon^2 \Delta t}{R} = \left[\frac{\Delta B}{\Delta t}\pi \left(\frac{D}{2}\right)^2\right]^2 \Delta t \frac{d^2}{4 \rho D}[/tex]

Simplifying: [tex]Q = \frac{(\Delta B)^2 \pi^2 D^3 d^2}{64 \Delta t \rho}[/tex]

Plugging all the values from the problem in gives me: [itex]6.5 \times 10^{-8} J[/itex] with 2 sig figs.

The answer in the back is stated as: [itex]5.2 \times 10^{-9} J[/itex]

Where have I gone wrong?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
The numbers differ by a factor of 4 pi, but I don't see wrong factors in your approach.

Yeah, that's because I have what I like to call "stupid fingers"...it was a calculator typo...