Energy efficiency - purchasing the right furnace

In summary, a homeowner is considering replacing their 25-year-old natural gas furnace with either a conventional furnace that costs $1600 and has an efficiency of 82 percent or a high-efficiency furnace that costs $2700 and has an efficiency of 95 percent. They want to know which option would be more cost-effective if they currently pay $1200 a year for heating and want to see if the savings from the natural gas will pay for the additional cost of the high-efficiency furnace in less than 8 years. After calculating the cost per year for each furnace, the difference in savings, and the additional initial cost for the high-efficiency furnace, it is determined that the homeowner should buy the conventional furnace as the additional cost for
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider a homeowner who is replacing his 25-year-old natural gas furnace that has an efficiency of 55 percent. The homeowner is considering a conventional furnace that has an efficiency of 82 percent and costs $1600 and a high-efficiency furnace that has an efficiency of 95 percent and costs $2700.

The homeowner would like to buy the high-efficiency furnace if the savings from the natural gas pay for the additional cost in less than 8 years. If the homeowner presently pays $1200 a year for heating, determine if he should buy the conventional or high-efficiency model.

Homework Equations

None. I just want to know if what I'm doing below is mathematically sound. The answer I got seems reasonable but I'd like somebody else to look through my calculations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Cost per year of conventional furnace = $1,200*(.55/.82) = $805

Cost per year of high-efficiency furnace = $1,200*(.55/.95) = $695

Savings per year with conventional furnace = $1,200 - $805 = $395

Savings per year with high-efficiency furnace = $1,200 - $695 = 505

Difference in savings (high eff. vs. conventional furn.) = $505 - $395 = $110

$110 * 8 = $880

Additional initial cost of high-efficiency furnace = $2,700 - $1,600 = $1,100

The additional initial cost of the high-efficiency furnace exceeds the savings difference over 8 years. Therefore, the homeowner should buy the conventional furnace.

Physics news on Phys.org
Redbelly98 said:
Looks good to me. :smile:

Thanks Redbelly98... One of the harder things in science education is interpreting what word problems are really asking for. The way I interpret a problem may be vastly different than the what the author intended.

-Jeff

1. What is energy efficiency and why is it important when purchasing a furnace?

Energy efficiency refers to the amount of energy required to produce a desired output. In the case of furnaces, energy efficiency is important because it directly affects the amount of energy consumed and therefore the cost of operating the furnace. A more energy-efficient furnace will use less energy and save you money on your energy bills.

2. How is the energy efficiency of a furnace measured?

The energy efficiency of a furnace is measured by its Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating. This is a percentage that represents the amount of fuel a furnace can convert into heat. For example, a furnace with an AFUE rating of 95% means that 95% of the fuel is used to produce heat and only 5% is wasted.

3. What is the minimum AFUE rating recommended for a furnace?

The minimum AFUE rating recommended for a furnace varies by region, but in general, it is recommended to choose a furnace with a minimum AFUE rating of 80%. This will ensure that the furnace is energy efficient and will save you money on your energy bills.

4. Are there any additional features that can improve the energy efficiency of a furnace?

Yes, there are additional features that can improve the energy efficiency of a furnace. Look for furnaces with a variable-speed blower motor, which can adjust its speed based on the heating needs of your home. Also, consider a furnace with a two-stage or modulating gas valve, which can adjust the amount of gas being burned to match the heating needs more precisely.

5. How can I ensure that I am purchasing the right size furnace for my home?

The best way to ensure that you are purchasing the right size furnace for your home is to have a professional perform a load calculation. This calculation takes into account the size of your home, the insulation, and other factors to determine the appropriate size furnace for your specific needs. Choosing the right size furnace will ensure that it operates efficiently and effectively, saving you money in the long run.