1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy efficiency - purchasing the right furnace

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1

JJBladester

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a homeowner who is replacing his 25-year-old natural gas furnace that has an efficiency of 55 percent. The homeowner is considering a conventional furnace that has an efficiency of 82 percent and costs $1600 and a high-efficiency furnace that has an efficiency of 95 percent and costs $2700.

The homeowner would like to buy the high-efficiency furnace if the savings from the natural gas pay for the additional cost in less than 8 years. If the homeowner presently pays $1200 a year for heating, determine if he should buy the conventional or high-efficiency model.

2. Relevant equations

None. I just want to know if what I'm doing below is mathematically sound. The answer I got seems reasonable but I'd like somebody else to look through my calculations.

3. The attempt at a solution

Cost per year of conventional furnace = $1,200*(.55/.82) = $805

Cost per year of high-efficiency furnace = $1,200*(.55/.95) = $695

Savings per year with conventional furnace = $1,200 - $805 = $395

Savings per year with high-efficiency furnace = $1,200 - $695 = 505

Difference in savings (high eff. vs. conventional furn.) = $505 - $395 = $110

$110 * 8 = $880

Additional initial cost of high-efficiency furnace = $2,700 - $1,600 = $1,100

The additional initial cost of the high-efficiency furnace exceeds the savings difference over 8 years. Therefore, the homeowner should buy the conventional furnace.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks good to me. :smile:

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3

JJBladester

Gold Member

Thanks Redbelly98... One of the harder things in science education is interpreting what word problems are really asking for. The way I interpret a problem may be vastly different than the what the author intended.

-Jeff

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook