1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Energy fighting in combat flight sims

1. Aug 5, 2016 #1

VMP

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding energy fighting. Suppose you're flying a plane and you want to boom and zoom a target that is lower than you, flying at similar velocity. What is the optimal* way of diving and then zooming up again.

*optimal wrt energy conservation.

I'm aware of the fact that how much negative work friction does depends on the path, but what confuses me is that when the plane changes direction the force of friction changes, also iirc it depends on magnitude of velocity.

P.S. Don't be shy to throw in some math :) Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are aware that control surfaces don't give you "non-skid" responses, that there are delay times that are functions of all sorts of things?

4. Aug 10, 2016 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes and you want to minimize that negative work.
    That means you have to use integration, and might not find an analytical solution for all cases.

5. Aug 14, 2016 #4

VMP

Well, I'm looking for a simple model of friction force that would give me intuition regarding the issue.

Suppose that the upper and lower bound of a 2D region is given by 2 smooth functions where these 2 functions represent paths, that would be good enough.

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted