1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of a block on a frictionless ramp

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 5.0 kg block is placed near the top of a frictionless ramp, which makes an angle of 30.0o degrees to the horizontal. A distance d = 1.3 m away from the block is an unstretched spring with k = 3000.0 N/m. The block slides down the ramp and compresses the spring. Find the maximum compression of the spring.

2. Relevant equations

The "solutions guide" is wanting me to use GPE=mgh (and I can substitute (1.3 + x) for h) and SPR=.5kx^2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried setting them equal to each other, but then I get x as .137 and they say that's not correct.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, welcome to PF!

Is h a distance measured along the surface of the inclined plane?

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF geena_booboo

Setting h = 1.3 + x is definitely not correct. You need to figure out change in vertical height of the block. This depends on how far along the ramp the block travels. It's not totally clear from the problem statement, but I think that the block is 1.3 m away from the spring along the ramp. If so, you need to use trigonometry to find the vertical height based on the distance that it travels along the ramp .

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4
    I appologize, I meant that h=(1.3+x)sin(30).

6. Feb 17, 2013 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, well it looks like calcuation error. Can you post your steps?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook