Energy of a block on a frictionless ramp

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
geena_booboo
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 5.0 kg block is placed near the top of a frictionless ramp, which makes an angle of 30.0o degrees to the horizontal. A distance d = 1.3 m away from the block is an unstretched spring with k = 3000.0 N/m. The block slides down the ramp and compresses the spring. Find the maximum compression of the spring.

Homework Equations



The "solutions guide" is wanting me to use GPE=mgh (and I can substitute (1.3 + x) for h) and SPR=.5kx^2.

The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried setting them equal to each other, but then I get x as .137 and they say that's not correct.

 
Physics news on Phys.org
geena_booboo said:
GPE=mgh (and I can substitute (1.3 + x) for h)

Hello, welcome to PF!

Is h a distance measured along the surface of the inclined plane?
 
Welcome to PF geena_booboo

geena_booboo said:

Homework Statement



A 5.0 kg block is placed near the top of a frictionless ramp, which makes an angle of 30.0o degrees to the horizontal. A distance d = 1.3 m away from the block is an unstretched spring with k = 3000.0 N/m. The block slides down the ramp and compresses the spring. Find the maximum compression of the spring.

Homework Equations



The "solutions guide" is wanting me to use GPE=mgh (and I can substitute (1.3 + x) for h) and SPR=.5kx^2.

The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried setting them equal to each other, but then I get x as .137 and they say that's not correct.

Setting h = 1.3 + x is definitely not correct. You need to figure out change in vertical height of the block. This depends on how far along the ramp the block travels. It's not totally clear from the problem statement, but I think that the block is 1.3 m away from the spring along the ramp. If so, you need to use trigonometry to find the vertical height based on the distance that it travels along the ramp .
 
geena_booboo said:
I appologize, I meant that h=(1.3+x)sin(30).

Okay, well it looks like calcuation error. Can you post your steps?