Energy of an electric quadrupole in an Electric Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 9K views
karanmohan
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hello, I have tried to look for related threads but could not find any. Please excuse me if this is a repetition. I was curious about the energy of an electric quadrupole moment in an electro-magnetic field.

Basically, i am trying to follow first order perturbation theory and derive the matrix element of an atom interacting with a field in Bohm's Quantum Theory book - upon expansion, we get terms that "look" like an electric dipole, magnetic dipole and so on.

For example, the energy of an electric dipole in an electric field is E dotted with d (dipole moment). Likewise, that of a magnetic dipole would mu (magnetic moment) dotted with B. I am looking for a similar expression for the quadrupole.

Any help, as well as references are greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm...thanks for the link friend, but it doesn't give me enough detail unfortunately :(
 
thanks a lot clem, that really helps a lot...do you have reference by any chance?
 
Section 2.4 of Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" discusses electric quadrupoles.
 
What does the operation : signify? I assume it yields a scalar here, since the expression is for energy, but how is it defined? Thank you
 
JJfortherear said:
What does the operation : signify? I assume it yields a scalar here, since the expression is for energy, but how is it defined? Thank you

What clem said about Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" are wise words in this context :P

clem said:
Section 2.4 of Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" discusses electric quadrupoles.
 
clem said:
[tex]U_Q = -\frac{1}{3}\bf[Q]:[{\nabla} E][/tex].
That is a misprint.
The correct equation is
[tex]U_Q = -\frac{1}{3}\bf[Q]:[{\nabla}\nabla E][/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{1}{3}[(\bf[Q]\cdot\nabla)\cdot\nabla] E[/tex].
 
Last edited: