Multipole Expansion: Understanding Electric & Magnetic Fields

In summary, electric multipole/magnetic multipole expansions represent a way to simplify the expression for potential energy around a charge distribution. They are used to calculate fields around point charges and are important for coordinate invariance.
leehufford
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help make the concept of electric multipole/ magnetic multipole expansions clearer. I think my most fundamental question is:

Are dipole, quadrupole and up fields just a shortcut to using the superposition principle on a charge distribution in space or do they yield different fields altogether, and if so what do they represent? I understand that electric monopoles are just single charges and that magnetic monopoles don't exit, so the most basic magnetic field must be a dipole, but the whole concept of a multipole expansion just isn't sinking in. Thanks in advance,

Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a mathematical decomposition, similar to a Fourier series decomposition of a periodic wave. You have different "harmonics", but it's all part of the same field.

I'm still a little confused. So do all electric fields have all the terms of the expansion? Wouldn't a single point charge only have a monopole term? I guess I don't understand the use of "harmonics" in this context. Thanks for the reply,

Lee

leehufford said:
do all electric fields have all the terms of the expansion?
The common thing to be expanded in multipoles are the potential energy, I have never known people expanding electric field from a source into multipoles, perhaps because electric field is a vector quantity so expanding it would involve nasty equations.
leehufford said:
Wouldn't a single point charge only have a monopole term?
Yes a single point source doesn't have higher terms unless the monopole.
The main purpose of expanding into multipoles is to make the expression for potential easier, this is because at sufficiently large distances, a considerable contributions from the expansion terms might only end at certain order, neglecting orders beyond that would only lead to very small error.

blue_leaf77 said:
The common thing to be expanded in multipoles are the potential energy, I have never known people expanding electric field from a source into multipoles, perhaps because electric field is a vector quantity so expanding it would involve nasty equations.

Yes a single point source doesn't have higher terms unless the monopole.
The main purpose of expanding into multipoles is to make the expression for potential easier, this is because at sufficiently large distances, a considerable contributions from the expansion terms might only end at certain order, neglecting orders beyond that would only lead to very small error.

So does this mean that a an electric dipole would have a dipole field and a monopole field? Is the type of field just literally dependent on the number of charges? Why (physically) do the terms change in significance at larger distances? (It's mathematically obvious). I just don't see where these field components are coming from. Thanks for the reply.

blue_leaf77 said:
I have never known people expanding electric field from a source into multipoles
Please forget what I said above, I just remembered that electric field can also be expressed in term of multipoles.

Again as Khashishi has said, multipole expansion is just a mathematical tool to study complicated charge distribution. Imagine you have a bulk of material whose charge density varies from place to place. You can expand the electric potential around such body, but what do monopole, dipole, quadrupole terms, and so on physically mean? It has no physical meaning I think, as you can't associate a physical entity to each of the expansion term.

A point charge can have dipole and higher moments, if the charge is not located at the origin.

Khashishi said:
A point charge can have dipole and higher moments, if the charge is not located at the origin.
I guess that's right.
And actually the OP can see from this that multipole expansion doesn't really have physical meaning. If it had, then the physics of the system being expanded is not coordinate invariant, which is not allowed. That's why again multipole terms should be understood as only mathematical objects, similar to Taylor expansion.

Last edited:

1. What is a multipole expansion and why is it important?

A multipole expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate the behavior of electric and magnetic fields near a point. It allows us to simplify complex fields into simpler components, making it easier to understand and analyze their behavior. This technique is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of electricity and magnetism, and is essential for many practical applications such as designing electronic devices and studying the behavior of particles in accelerators.

2. How is a multipole expansion calculated?

A multipole expansion is calculated using a series of mathematical equations, known as the multipole expansion formula, which involves expanding the field in terms of spherical harmonics. These equations take into account the charge or current distribution and the distance from the point of interest. The more terms we include in the expansion, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What are the main differences between electric and magnetic multipole expansions?

The main difference between electric and magnetic multipole expansions is the type of source that is considered. In electric multipole expansions, the source is a distribution of electric charges, while in magnetic multipole expansions, the source is a distribution of electric currents. Additionally, the equations used in each type of expansion are slightly different due to the different nature of electric and magnetic fields.

4. How does a multipole expansion help us understand the behavior of electric and magnetic fields?

A multipole expansion allows us to break down a complex field into simpler components, making it easier to understand its behavior. By studying the individual components of the expansion, we can gain insights into how the field changes with distance and the relative strengths of different components. This helps us understand the overall behavior of the field and how it interacts with other objects or particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of multipole expansion?

Multipole expansion has many practical applications in various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used in the design of electronic circuits and devices, as well as in the study of particle accelerators and particle physics. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different mediums and plays a crucial role in the study of celestial bodies and their magnetic fields.