Why Does My Spin Chain Energy Calculation Differ from the Textbook?

In summary: Therefore, the total energy would be -(N-4)*J. In summary, the total energy of a chain of spins with periodic boundary conditions, where half are spin up and half are spin down, would be -(N-4)*J, not -(N-2)*J as stated in the book. This is because each location of an up-down neighbor represents an energy change of +2J, and there are two of these locations due to the periodic boundary conditions.
jorgen
Hi all,

I am supposed to calculate the energy of chain of spins where the magnetic field H = 0. For the first chain the spins are all aligned in the same direction - up - hence the energy

U = -NJ

where N is the total number of spins. Next, the half the chain is spin up and the other half is spin down with periodic boundary conditions first and last interact.

UpUpUp...UpDownDown...Down

here I get the total energy U = -(N-2)*J but the book says -(N-4)*J which I really don't understand. Any comments appreciated - thanks in advance

Best Jorgen

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jorgen,

jorgen said:
Hi all,

I am supposed to calculate the energy of chain of spins where the magnetic field H = 0. For the first chain the spins are all aligned in the same direction - up - hence the energy

U = -NJ

where N is the total number of spins. Next, the half the chain is spin up and the other half is spin down with periodic boundary conditions first and last interact.

UpUpUp...UpDownDown...Down

here I get the total energy U = -(N-2)*J but the book says -(N-4)*J which I really don't understand. Any comments appreciated - thanks in advance

Best Jorgen

I hope I am understanding the situation you describe, but the book answer makes sense to me. Each location of where there is an up-down neighbor represents an energy change (relative to the up-up or down-down case) of +2J (where J is the interaction energy magnitude between spin neighbors), because it goes from -J to +J. With the periodic boundary conditions, there are two of these locations.

Hello Jorgen,

Thank you for sharing your question with us. It seems like you have a good understanding of the energy of a chain of spins with a magnetic field of H = 0. When all the spins are aligned in the same direction, the energy is simply the product of the number of spins and the interaction energy, as you correctly stated.

In the case where half of the chain is spin up and the other half is spin down with periodic boundary conditions, the total energy should indeed be -(N-2)*J. This is because the first and last spins, which are interacting, contribute an energy of -2J, leaving the remaining N-2 spins to contribute an energy of -J each.

It is possible that the book you are referring to made a mistake in their calculation. I would recommend double checking your work and also consulting other sources to confirm the correct energy expression.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations! Keep up the good work in your research.

Best,

1. What is the "Energy of chain of spins"?

The "Energy of chain of spins" refers to the total energy of a system of interacting spins, which are quantum mechanical entities that have a magnetic moment and can be in either an "up" or "down" state. This energy is influenced by the strength and direction of the interactions between the spins.

2. How is the energy of a chain of spins calculated?

The energy of a chain of spins can be calculated using a mathematical model called the Heisenberg model, which takes into account the interactions between neighboring spins and their orientations. This model can be solved using various techniques such as mean-field theory, numerical simulations, or analytical approximations.

3. What factors affect the energy of a chain of spins?

The energy of a chain of spins is influenced by several factors, including the strength and type of interactions between the spins, the orientation of the spins, the temperature of the system, and any external magnetic fields. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the energy of the system.

4. How does the energy of a chain of spins relate to other physical properties?

The energy of a chain of spins is closely related to other physical properties such as the magnetic moment, heat capacity, and magnetic susceptibility of the system. These properties can be calculated using the energy of the system and can provide insights into the behavior of the spins.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the energy of a chain of spins?

Studying the energy of a chain of spins can have practical applications in various fields, such as materials science, quantum computing, and magnetic data storage. Understanding the behavior of spins in different materials can help in the development of new technologies and devices. Additionally, the energy of chain of spins is relevant in studying magnetic phase transitions and magnetic materials' properties.