Is Energy Physical or Non-Physical?

In summary, the conversation discusses opinions on the physical or non-physical nature of energy. The original poster is interested in hearing others' views and reasoning behind their vote in a poll on this topic. One participant voted that energy is physical because it can be measured and interacted with, while another participant expresses frustration with the topic not being relevant to the philosophy forum.

Energy is a

• physical phenomenon

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • non-physical phenomenon

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
nannoh
My knowledge about energy is very limited. I would like to find out other people's opinions about the phyical or non-physical attributes of energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful if the voter could basically explain the reason behind their vote in this poll. There are only 2 choices and an explanation for the choice of the voter will help the participants understand the origins of the thinking behind the choice. This is a forum primarily focused on physics and I think its going to be really interesting to read some of the reasons for a person maintaining that energy is physical (or non-physical).

I voted that energy is physical but my reasons are probably not acceptable according to the science of physics. My reasoning is that energy is as physical as everything else we deem physical. It can be measured and doing so is dependent upon physical attributes. If it were not physical we would not be able to measure it or interact with it efficiently.

This thread is meaningless. nannoh, the philosophy forum is not a dumping ground for threads about pseudoscience and quakery, it's for threads about philosophy. Since this thread is obviously not about philosophy, it's been locked.

- Warren

1. Is energy a physical entity?

Yes, energy is considered a physical entity because it has properties such as mass, volume, and can be measured and observed in the physical world.

2. What are the different forms of energy?

Energy can exist in various forms, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), chemical energy, electrical energy, and nuclear energy.

3. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another.

4. Is energy the same as power?

No, energy and power are not the same. Energy is the ability to do work, while power is the rate at which energy is transferred or transformed. In other words, power is the amount of energy used per unit of time.

5. How is energy measured?

Energy is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ), but it can also be measured in other units such as calories, kilowatt-hours (kWh), or British thermal units (BTU).